The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean Surplus .30 Carbine ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2020 at 9:13pm
I ask because the signs are of extremely wide variance in pressure, you may not see much difference in accuracy at short ranges. 

The pierced primer looked like it may have been hot. An under pressured round may not reseat the primer.
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2020 at 1:59pm
Just shot 50 rounds of my PSD 85 ammo, lot # PSD85C110-046, checked every casing and found no punctured primers and no backed out primers. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2020 at 9:53pm
I don't NEED any but the price appears to be fair and one of these will last my lifetime and my heirs. Think I'll order out a can and stash it in my ammo locker.  We do have to keep the economy stimulated with all that FREE MONEY, right??
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2020 at 5:52pm
It arrived today....... fast work.

Nice, clean, no bad odors, etc.

Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 7:10pm
So I finally got a chance to use some of the Korean surplus I picked a few weeks back. It is all stamped "PSD 85" and no punched/backed out primers that I saw.

However, it did seem to burn very dirty and not seal to the chamber properly. I ran 60 rounds of the Korean and all ran fine but 95%+ had soot on the outside of the case, I could see more in the chamber, and the area around the gas piston was filthy when I went to clean. I ran 20 rounds of the PPU interspersed with the Korean to compare and saw no evidence of dirty cases.

Has anyone else thought the Korean surplus ran dirty?
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by choprboy choprboy wrote:

So I finally got a chance to use some of the Korean surplus I picked a few weeks back. It is all stamped "PSD 85" and no punched/backed out primers that I saw.

However, it did seem to burn very dirty and not seal to the chamber properly. I ran 60 rounds of the Korean and all ran fine but 95%+ had soot on the outside of the case, I could see more in the chamber, and the area around the gas piston was filthy when I went to clean. I ran 20 rounds of the PPU interspersed with the Korean to compare and saw no evidence of dirty cases.

Has anyone else thought the Korean surplus ran dirty?

I think it does run dirty compared my other ammo. I had to clean up about 30% of what I've bought so far
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 10:11pm
Same observation with the soot. I have shot quite a bit of this Korean surplus, a 1080 can or so. Maybe 3 or 4 pierced primers and an equal number with very slight primer backout in the '84 can since my previous post. No primer issues with a can of '85.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 10:18pm
Yeah... I now see I somehow missed post #6 and the replies on soot earlier in the thread. I did notice a lot of the red primer seal on the bolt face, but no soot there or on the case face. It was all in the chamber and walls of the case.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 10:30pm
Interesting stuff guys. My can of Korean arrived three hours ago. I had no idea FedEx delivers on Sunday! Anyhow, if time permits tomorrow I'll shoot a little of it and run it over the chronograph.

Do any of you guys keep your brass to sell? It'll easily bring 10¢ per each and if a fella was to spring for the shipping and use a Flat Rate Box, he could probably get 15¢ per each.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

Interesting stuff guys. My can of Korean arrived three hours ago. I had no idea FedEx delivers on Sunday! Anyhow, if time permits tomorrow I'll shoot a little of it and run it over the chronograph.

Do any of you guys keep your brass to sell? It'll easily bring 10¢ per each and if a fella was to spring for the shipping and use a Flat Rate Box, he could probably get 15¢ per each.

I started that today. I should have done that sooner, I've shot at least 1600 rounds of since the spring. I don't have the room or time to reload myself right now.

I would inspect every round before you shoot it. I've had maybe 20 rounds that were questionable IMO in the last batch of 1080 I bought. It surprised me, so far I'd never seen any bad rounds in what I've bought.

I'll miss it when it's gone, it looks like .30 Carbine will be expensive for the next couple years at least 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2020 at 11:11pm
Agree, I advise to inspect all bandoleers when you get a can. Two of my cans had mild corrosion on rounds, mostly on each end of the stripper clip. I consolidated all those rounds and shot them first, they were a little ugly but functioned just fine. I'm sure they won't get better over time.

Also yes to saving the brass; that along with the bandoleers, stripper clips, and ammo can make this ammo a good deal.

I've been hoarding my brass for years though, quite a while down the road but could see taking up reloading once I retire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12