The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dumb Carbine Question of the Month,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Dumb Carbine Question of the Month,
    Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 9:43am
Receiver life expectancy.

I've got my "Howa" made M-1 Carbine in at Fulton Armory for work. I'm planning on a new barrel, expect they'll recommend a new slide (so far the 2 USGI Inlands they've done needed them, I'm 1/2 expecting it) and of course new springs and parts as needed.

I'm 1/2 tempted to have them install a new bolt and have basically a "new" Carbine. Anyone ever wear out a receiver ?   
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 10:00am
Did Howa us USGI parts, or did they make their own? Because I'd rather have it original even if it was a wall hanger.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 10:01am
Actions actually stretch over time/round-count. Ever so minutely, but it’s the mechanics of parts bashing each other. I think it’s awfully hard to ever wear-out a GI receiver. The areas that usually see the most wear are the rear of the bolt lugs. Not only do they experience the bashing under fire, but the rotational movement in and out of the receiver recesses causes frictional wear. There are tolerances associated with bolt manufacturer. Replacing the bolt with one a little longer (in the right place) or fresher will usually solve most head-space issues and if that doesn't, a new barrel is usually in order to pull things back into spec.

I don’t recall hearing or reading about a confirmed worn-out GI receiver, visible damage not withstanding. A cast commercial receiver is another matter though. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 10:41am
It just occurred to be that there are some GI receivers where the top plain of the front part of the slide slot has been worn into an oval shape allowing the slide tab to be pulled out of the slot when the bolt is in firing position instead of having to pull the slide back to remove the interlocking tab at the slide removal slot. Seen several Saginaw S'G' receivers like this.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Did Howa us USGI parts, or did they make their own? Because I'd rather have it original even if it was a wall hanger.

They made their own parts on the model I own, to USGI spec

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_howa3.html

The gun currently has a 1944 Inland barrel on it, quick gauge check of the crown by FA ran a "2" so I'm thinking of having them recrown that barrel and keep it.

I'm planning on this rifle to be a primary "shooter", 500-1000 rounds a year for as long as I can shoot a Carbine (I'm 62 next month) so I figure this barrel will see 10.000 rounds in my lifetime
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 2:22pm
Don, I was just looking at your post on the Howa.
We determined that it was a Winchester receiver that was for the Thai Police 

It was also determined that USGI carbines were stripped of USGI markings and Thai Police markings and serial numbers added. No evidence if Howa had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately the pictures went AWOL from the 3rd party image hosting. If you still have those pictures please send them to me and I will install in that thread. The thread is useful for future research.

On the receiver stretch. I do believe there was a gauge made to check the receiver during rebuild. Since there were no spare receivers the good parts would be stripped off if the receiver failed an inspection.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Don, I was just looking at your post on the Howa.
We determined that it was a Winchester receiver that was for the Thai Police 

It was also determined that USGI carbines were stripped of USGI markings and Thai Police markings and serial numbers added. No evidence if Howa had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately the pictures went AWOL from the 3rd party image hosting. If you still have those pictures please send them to me and I will install in that thread. The thread is useful for future research.

On the receiver stretch. I do believe there was a gauge made to check the receiver during rebuild. Since there were no spare receivers the good parts would be stripped off if the receiver failed an inspection.

I had to clean up my hosting program, I deleted the Howa file since it's getting work. My desktop that has the pictures on file is in the shop getting upgraded to Win 10, when I get it back I'll either send them to you or reload the file.

As I said, I'm wanting to turn the Howa into a full time working gun. I'll wait and see what FA says first before I decide
 Post Reply Post Reply