Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Flat Marking IBM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Flat Marking IBM
    Posted: Dec 22 2019 at 9:12pm

Anyone have information as to what this marking represents? The lower marking appears to be a flaming bomb but the marking above it, I have never seen.

I did come across a thread but while the mark is in the same location its a bit different.

Tried to capture it in this picture. Marking nearest piston.

Edit: additional pic

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 8:58am
Early IBM Markings CCNL #110 may shed some light.
Aside from proof font, description of the 8-43 dated IBM barrel on the 366 that was inspected sounds much the same as this one; even the 8 that could be mistaken for a 3.
Anyone else have one that looks like this?

No serifs: Was this the beginning of the Sans P proof usage?

jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2019 at 11:15pm
My 8th month stamp is slightly more defined than your photo, and could probably be mistaken for a 9 if you don't look closely. I don't have a photo available of the barrel flat marking...will make a note to check.  My rifle is 3687xxx.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 8:19am
Thank you for the reply Jangle; nice looking barrel!
There is one other trait, or the lack thereof for the barrel I posted. No flaming bomb below date but there is a small one stamped on barrel flat below that somewhat heart shaped marking I am interested in.

My understanding is there were 8-43 dated IBM barrels produced with no flaming bomb below date as you will typically see on many dated IBM barrels (CCNL #110 and WarBaby! by Larry Ruth pg. 477 bottom left) and there was also a transition regarding the font used for proof marking barrels by IBM. Perhaps there was someone else helping with IBM barrel production outside IBM Poughkeepsie Plant #4? This barrel has both those traits. The barrel condition is near NOS; there does appear to be evidence of a sight key being installed at some point and perhaps very light sight drag marks that the camera pics up better than naked eye.

Waiting to see what markings you find on your barrel and hopefully there will be other IBM gurus chime in with some examples.

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 12:41pm
On 3669744.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 12:57pm
Thank you for reply Chris and excellent pic; that barrel looks familiar.  Big smile
Does that one have the hacksaw cut? Any markings on flat?

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 1:25pm
3665xxx

Barrel flat mark near gas piston on the 8-43 dated IBM barrel that I included the link to in my first post.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 3:10pm
my 366 has a 9 43 barrel with FB. No markings on the flat.

Several manufacturers used what the club refers to "hieroglyphics" Inland early on and to a lesser extent SG come to mind.

It it most likely an inspection marking. 

Will look into your PM question after Christmas. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

On 3669744.

Holy cats, I gotta get my eyeglass prescription renewed.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2019 at 4:08pm
Anyone with a QHMC or SP with dated IBM barrel and no FB they would share? Have found a few QHMC digging around net with IBM barrels but all have been undated flat muzzle thus far.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2019 at 9:30am
Don't remember ever owning an IBM barreled Quality, nor SP but have had an NPM or two with them. Not that I can remember what they had in proofing and markings, but if they're still here and I encounter them I'll shoot pics for you.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2019 at 9:14am
My 8-43 barrel posted above is void of any markings on barrel flat, the P proof is 2mm high with serif on the foot.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2019 at 9:41am
Thank you for contributing the details on your barrel Jangle; appreciated. Yeah there is a mixed use of san-serif and serif proof marks on IBM barrels and earlier than I previously had thought, even within the same month/year stamp for dated barrels apparently. Found a couple more examples within older Milsurps threads that were dated with san-serif proof.
The barrel flat marking along with no FB, is still quite a mystery to me but hopefully more examples or information will show up. 
The only example carbine I have come across a reference for, with no FB and dated 8-43 is from CCNL #110.

Originally posted by jangle jangle wrote:

My 8-43 barrel posted above is void of any markings on barrel flat, the P proof is 2mm high with serif on the foot.
 Post Reply Post Reply