The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1 Mystery Bullet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 Mystery Bullet
    Posted: Dec 22 2019 at 3:20pm
We read about sticky issues and action problems that are hard to isolate. I just finished-up a lengthy hunt for a problem that had me cornered. I was fitting a spare bolt to a shooter and loaded-up a mag full of live ammo. Took it outside and cycled them thru by hand just to see how things felt. Upon cycling a mag, the bolt locked-up on the last round. I reloaded the mag, tried again and the bolt locked up about 5-down. Head-scratching commences. I grab a few more magazines and the problem randomly persisted on any mag. I change bolts which did not solve the problem. The light bulb came on in my head and I started considering the ammo. I was able to identify one round that was causing the problem. Every time it chambered, it would lock the bolt and required a serious karate-chop on the slide to rotate and unlock. No matter how hard I looked or measured, I could not detect any issue with it. This is exactly the sort of thing that can cause a cracked bolt. The round would feed, chamber, rotate and lock, but would not rotate and extract by hand.

I just wanted to mention that ammo really can be a contributor to problems and can be overlooked if you keep your head in that dark place like I did for much too long. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2019 at 6:14pm
Was it a factory load, if so who manufactured the ammo?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2019 at 6:41pm
Maybe your odd round is out-of-round in some way? Try measuring both the minimum and maximum diameter of the cartridge at a couple of different points along its length. Perhaps it got stepped on at some point in its life
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2019 at 6:41pm
Reload in Armscor brass, same as the handful I was trying. All were trimmed and went thru the same dies. It chambers fine and locks-up fine. Something about the base is obviously placing the bolt in some sort of a bind.

My point was to only mention that ammo should never be ignored when chasing a problem as much as what is wrong with the round. The thing would likely have fired and extracted perfectly once it self-sized itself to the chamber and bolt-face during firing. The only way I noticed it was under manual cycling. As for me, if a round won’t cycle manually, I don’t want to shoot it.
 Post Reply Post Reply