Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Firing Pin Marking? SR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Firing Pin Marking? SR
    Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 6:30pm
I came by a complete Inland T3 bolt. The Type II pin is marked "RI C". The RI is there as well as a "C" spaced-over after the I. It was no accident or damage...it's a C. I can't take a picture of anything that small that makes sense.

Any helpful comments concerning the "C"?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 8:04pm
Here is one from my parts stash, which appears to be "RI Q" Does yours look like it? I always figured it was a transfer to QHMC, or maybe some kind of inspection letter.

https://imgur.com/a/YAYg3Ab
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 5:47am
My C could be a poorly stamped Q. Yep...it looks like that.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 5:59pm
I have a RI a and a RI b. Both I believe lower case. The Q is interesting 

What type FP on second RI Q
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 6:27pm
My C, which could be a Q I suppose, is the same font as the RI with a space between the I and...whatever that third character is. It’s a T2.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

What type FP on second RI Q

It's a type 2.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2019 at 7:09pm
Here is a RI b T2 FP. I will follow up with the RI a when (if) I can locate it.
Above it is a RI a sear that the font is different.

Here is an adjusted picture of the RI Q T2 FP from GotSNL28b

If anyone else has a lettered RI part please share a picture.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2019 at 7:19pm
I am going to have to get a picture of mine posted. In the examples shown, the 3rd. character is of a smaller case/font. Mine has all three characters in the same large font.

OK...here you go. My 72-year old eyes may be wrong about the font of the third character, but pretty sure it's a "C" and placed higher than the ones shown above.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 9:36am
Floyd, Noticed the font is sans serif on the Rl but the c looks like it may have slight serif

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Floyd, Noticed the font is sans serif on the Rl but the c looks like it may have slight serif

I agree. Maybe if we keep looking, we can get thru the alphabet?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 6:36pm
The extra letter is new to me, don't ever recall seeing one.
IIRC.. most all of these Firing Pins I own and have seen (Including a 'just now search on Ebay and GB)'
Show the letters stamped R.I. Yes with periods, unlike these examples.
Mean anything..... IDK.

Good Eye Guys ! Thumbs Up

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 6:55pm
I think the C on my pin closely resembles an Arabic font. Man....I must be really bored to research a funny looking C. The Arabic C has that serif-looking mark on the end of the upper loop. I can’t duplicate it here, but I can in Microsoft WORD.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 7:10pm
Floyd,
Sounds like you need a good Army movie.
Maybe that will relax you enough, since they never show any field stripping close enough that you'd see the markings on on a firing pin. LOL

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 7:42pm
I plan to hold onto it until all that one guy needs to complete his restoration is my pin some Arab scribbled a C on. 😁
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2019 at 7:56pm
I actually have a theory. If all the pins shown here are 2’s, could these extra characters have anything to do with being recut from 1’s to 2’s? 

Edited by floydthecat - Dec 21 2019 at 7:40am
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 10:07am
Type 2 RI firing pin from a recently acquired mixed part NPM U coded carbine.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply