Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock-ola "BR" flip, real or repo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock-ola "BR" flip, real or repo?
    Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 4:39pm
I've owned this Rock-ola 4,556,XXX for about 15 years.  It came with the flip sight as seen in the attached photos.  The carbine shows no evidence of staking for a type II or III sight, although all 4 corners of rear dovetail have been slightly staked around the type I sight.  Of course I hoped it was real when I bought it many years ago, but now looking for the experts comments and evaluation to confirm or deny. Comments welcome, and additional photos, available upon request.

Jim   
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 5:33pm
repro
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 6:38pm
Ill 2nd that Repro ..
6kidsdad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6kidsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 6:41pm
I am going to say that it is real.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 7:03pm
I agree,
and agree,
and disagree.

Only learned tonight that they made those as long as 15 years ago.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Me too. I never realized re-popping was popular that early. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 8:57pm
Always look closely at the tool marks and fonts. There are at least 3 things that say repro to me and possibly a fourth.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2019 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Me too. I never realized re-popping was popular that early. 

I didn't know they made that specific 'high quality' reproduction that early.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 8:31am
When looking to determine whether real or reproduction, do NOT overcomplicate your observations to the point where an observer becomes disoriented. As with ducks, one good quack is often enough to determine whether it's USGI or reproduction.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 11:56am
Here, here.

Same goes for accessing an entire carbine. If one thing is wrong, there are probably others and one should be enough to move onto the next one. If unsure, probably best to move on to the next one and learn from others if right or wrong.

Why throw darts at a board when one can bet on sure things?
6kidsdad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6kidsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 3:28pm
Why not go ahead and post more, detailed photos of the entire carbine.
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 4:43pm

I thank everyone for their honest comments.  I always feared the rear sight was a repro, and now it is confirmed.  I must admit I was mistaken when I said I purchased the carbine 15 years ago.  After all the comments saying, “I didn’t realize that particular repro was made that early”, I pulled out my old check registers and confirmed the purchase date as March 2010.   As for my own suspicions, I always thought the “s” was an odd shape and more molded than struck into the side.   Otherwise I am no wiser really about the reasons for the repro evaluation.  I certainly realize the reluctance to discuss and publish the specifics concerning these items.  As such, the esoteric details remain a mystery to this novice.      

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 5:59pm
It can cost a lot of time and/or money AND time to learn the tells.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Here, here.

Same goes for accessing an entire carbine. If one thing is wrong, there are probably others and one should be enough to move onto the next one. If unsure, probably best to move on to the next one and learn from others if right or wrong.

Why throw darts at a board when one can bet on sure things?

I pretty much agree, but there's not a perfect carbine out there or if you want to say one where some little nitpicky issue can't be found. I'm okay with some things, such as incorrect parts and less than ideal finish, but would sooner not deal with complete rebuilds, refinished carbines and of course M1's with fake components of any types.

It's a great hobby, but it will drive you batty if you let it.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 7:53pm
"It's a great hobby, but it will drive you batty if you let it."

Is that what happened to me?????????!!!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2019 at 8:53pm
Expect your mag catch to be of recent vintage too.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2019 at 5:24pm
There are so many things to learn about these carbines. I wouldn't have noticed that that sight is a repo. Still unsure why its a repo.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2019 at 7:30pm

It can cost a lot of time and/or money AND time to learn the tells.

Already been answered, which is why I posted it that way. It's a bit of a puzzle for you to solve by finding the clues already posted. If you want to know, all you have to do is study the threads on multiple Carbine sites where it's fairly well discussed and you'll have it figured out. Search them and absorb the info, compare the data already posted between them. We get asked a lot by newer people to instantly tell them how to ID real and fake and it's always the same answer; don't expect it to be given to you with no application of effort on your part. It's valuable to us and you have to earn it by seeking it on these sites. We paid for the info with time and money and that's what made it very enjoyable for many of us. Additionally, I've studied sights very specifically and I'm still learning and learning from mistakes.

It isn't like a DIY on changing your window regulator. We're here to help you not make a mistake, but we aren't here to give you a sugar high that will create someone who will then compete with us when buying items.
 Post Reply Post Reply