Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sling attached wrong, a little help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrguvna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling attached wrong, a little help please
    Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 2:48pm
A newby here and just purchased a nice M1 serial number around 1944  and I was going to break it down and clean before firing.  Just noticed that the sling was put on wrong.  The "button:  was somehow pushed through the slot in the stock with the oiler and buttoned closed.  I did not notice this before the sale but now I cannot seem to get the sling to slide out because of the Button will not go past the oiler.  I am reluctant to put too much pressure on the oiler and stock as i don't want to break or crack the stock.

I have not taken pics yet but will do that tonight when I get home.  I may just buy a reproduction sling and just cut this one off unless anyone has figured this riddle out before.
GH
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 3:57pm
Do you mean someone put the loop around the oiler by pushing the snap end thru, looping it back thru the slot over the oiler and closing it on the prong? 

I guess anything is possible if somebody tries hard enough. You may very well be at a point where cutting the sling is a better option. I hope it’s a cheap repo. 

shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 4:51pm
Maybe you could push the loop as far as it will go on the oiler side and push the oiler out, unsnap the sling and work it out.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 5:43pm
+1 on what shadycon said

I have dealt with getting a correct orientated sling off in the past. I found that pushing the oiler into the cut gave the sling a little more room. When it lifts up slightly the tip would not have enough room.
mrguvna View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrguvna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 8:21am
Good Morning and thanks for the replies.  I was able to "stretch" the sling with a small screwdriver by prying on it then carefully slid the oiler out.  I did mar up the surface a bit on the top and bottom of the oiler slot as seen in the pics.  I will buff this out with steel wool.  I feel like I got lucky

I cannot post pics as they are too big for the upload.  I will try and get them retaken in lower resolution to upload.
GH
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 8:59am
If you are on PC the paint tool makes it very easy to resize.
click on my signature to bring you to a post on resizing. 

There are posts about resizing on Mac/Apple in the top help section as well
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 9:18am
I did mar up the surface a bit on the top and bottom of the oiler slot as seen in the pics.  I will buff this out with steel wool.
[/QUOTE]

Oilers are relatively cheap, unless it happens to be a rare one. I have seen them bent and dented after being pounded or prized in-out. Most of it is covered by the sling anyway and a replacement can be had for $10 or less.
mrguvna View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrguvna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 9:57am
here are the pics
GH
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 11:32am
I've had two carbines that had the OP's sling condition. The first time I simply cut the sling since it was an aftermarket D-tip. The second time was much more complicated since it involved a GI C-tip and a pretty decent OI marked stock that I believe is a true field replacement. Anyway, I tried working the oiler out and about had it all of the way out ( with no damage to to the stock ) when the wood finally gave way. The damage is repairable and I did get the sling, but it clearly isn't something that can be done easily. I have heard that if one can work all of the prongs up on the female snap then you pull that side of the sling out, but that's pretty intricate work. Good luck if you try.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2019 at 9:10pm
I have done what Whycarbines mentioned. You can bend up the tabs on the part with the hole and separate the two halves. This will allow the strap to come out without damaging anything. You can then put the two parts back together by carefully pushing part with the bent up tabs back through the original holes in the strap and bend the tabs back down.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2019 at 5:52am
I’d examine the back side of the prong attachment on the sling. If it’s a repo with the base split and braded-over, it’s likely not worth the effort to save and I’d not risk any stock damage over it. The prong will pull out with a good yank. If the prong is properly riveted in place, it may be worth the effort to save it.
 Post Reply Post Reply