Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irwin-Pedersen rifles with Marlin barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irwin-Pedersen rifles with Marlin barrels
    Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 9:32am
I have not heard of Marlin barrels being associated with Irwin Pedersen rifles before, nor do I see it mentioned in CCNL 374. I’ve seen two IPs come up, one on Facebook and one on the cmp that both have Marlin barrels. They are close in serial number, one being 1778744 and the other being 17778xx.

Is it common for an IP to have a Marlin barrel, or are these two put togethers?

The cmp rifle has no pictures, but the link to the thread is:

The Facebook rifle the guy claims he just picked it up for $700. Pictures to the Facebook group rifle:

-Neil
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 10:19am
I am no expert with regards to carbine barrel markings, but that MARLIN barrel stamp looks suspect to me.

The NPM that I have which retains it's original MARLIN barrel, has the stamp directed the opposite way,
with a noticeably different font.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 11:27am
interesting point. I have a NPM as well, it is a Bavarian return. It has a Marlin barrel as well the the font is oriented the same way as the IP I posted (reading left to right with the muzzle pointed to the right) but is the same font you have, not what that IP has. 

I added a picture to the end of that album of my NPM with Marlin barrel. I wrote in the picture "NPM 4.26" to try and prevent confusion between it and the IP barrel. 

-Neil
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 11:53am
marlin have been reported in both orientations. 
I would have to look as I think marlin barrels may be post IP contract loss.
So one would have to check S'G' transfers. 

Has anyone looked the the proofs on said IPs?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 3:30pm
@Dan, what about the proof "P"? Is it usual to find one sideways?

It looks like IP's contract ended in March of 1943 when S'G' took over. Marlin's first barrel contract wasn't until April of 1943. Marlin was planning to ship their first barrels in May. I don't think it is known exactly when they actually started shipping the first barrels.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 5:39pm
As per Chris Albright's IP update CCNL 374 that barrels on IP were made by Underwood or Rockola. Nearly all barrels reported have dates ranging between Oct 1942 and June 1943.

WB pg 208 shows Marlin joining the (GFICBP) government-free-issue carbine barrel program in Feb 43. Propsed production for May 43 of 11000 barrels.

Now contract vs produced and projected are all different things than what took place.
According to WB they only produced for NPM and SP under the "GFICBP". WB mentions Brophy in that they also produced spares. 

Marlin barrels are show as appearing on SP in a short band in what I am estimating is the equivalent of other barrels in the 10-43 range.

Marlin showed up earlier in NPM in the equivalent of Underwood barrels dated in the 7-43 to 9-43 range

So even it looks highly unlikely and Marlin barrels went to IP even though they got their barrels from the "GFICBP" 

I only have 2 Marlin barrel I could access and they are in opposing direction. One on an earlier NPM with a ground finish, the other late and has the ribbed finish
Looking at the barrel from the Facebook page on a more suitable screen that barrel looks ground finer than my Marlin barrel.
The early one has a very small flaming bomb on the side, later larger like the one on FB. 
the proof P had different orientations.

Proof P was required on all barrels from the manufacture early on. At some point it was dropped to something worded like 100 out of every 1000  barrels needed to be proofed. When assembled they all had to be proofed by the prime contractor. So you need to differentiate between a Marlin P and that of a prime contractor.
*note* all spares contract barrels had to be proofed by manufacturer*
See CCNL 384 for more on P proofs 

The fonts on my two are consistent as well as a dated barrel shown in CCNL 174. The fonts on the FB just do not seem consistent in the middle of the M goes down too far. Spacing it too tight.

So I am wondering if maybe the FB barrel is one of the sleeved barrels done by commercial companies using a USGI barrel rear section and a 1903 barrel turned down to fit. Might explain the price.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2019 at 9:26pm
Wonder if that funny Marlin stamped one is from Riverbank?

For reference, I believe this is from an NPM in the group of 7000 additional serials given to NPM for assembly in '43. It's identical to one on an NPM in that range discussed on the forum as having a mid 4 million serial with all early features.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
gpw6335 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpw6335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 10:24am
I am the fellow that has Irwin Peterson 1777832 with the Marlin Barrel. I have had this carbine since 1986  I have been pondering this question for years with the records incomplete or missing it may be an answer lost in history. I like to think its original and hesitate putting an underwood barrel on it. What are your thoughts ? .
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 11:01am
This isn't definitive, but you typically only have to look at the other features of the Carbine. Is it adjustable staked? That's the #1 suggestion of it being rebarreled. The other features can tell you too.
Yours would be a good one to get a pic of the MARLIN stamping and the proofing since that's the purpose of the thread. Good questions.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply