Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2019 at 4:12pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2019 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Floyd, are you thinking of the M13 tool roll?

You can find tool/bolt pouches for sell in various places. Some of them have “BOLT” stamped on them and I have found one seller that lists them as carbine tool/bolt pouches, but that is just his opinion I suppose. You can find spare bolt pouches specifically described for other weapons, usually machine guns.

I remember the discussion I had about that on a now defunct M1 carbine forum. It came up discussing tossed extractors and one forum member mentioned it was common practice to carry a spare bolt head-spaced to the users carbine. That might have been something some veteran told him that he did, or maybe it was common practice in that squad, company ....whatever.

I have never actually seen a pouch specifically marked for “carbine bolt”. I have seen some stamped as BOLT.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2019 at 6:22pm
Respectfully guys,
You've got this guys post Off Topic.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Vic Anderson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 3:54pm
My gunsmith and I have had the apart and compared to others in the shop. Even though it appeared to be the bolt that was binding it, we now believe wasn't the cause of the problem. The binding appears to coming from the front of the slide. It is binding unless lifted slightly. By relieving the lower pressure (gravity) slightly the bolt slides smoothly. Once the slide and rails are polished we believe that the carbine will work smoothly. This binding of the slide was probably the cause of the cracking of the bolt because the round wasn't fully seated.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 4:36pm
It really doesn’t take much interference at all. When that slide is slammed back under pressure, any interference is greatly magnified. 

Hope you found the issue, but I’d try another slide to be sure, if you have a spare.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 4:42pm
Think I would too. Replace the moving parts after someone cleans up the slide grooves. I have a slide with nothing really evident, but binds while every other slide doesn't.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2019 at 10:27pm
Check Slide stop pin, they can stay partly pinned down some and drag along, like driving with the parking brake on. Easy enough to check that it's pulled up far enough..... At no $$ cost.
Here is a recent link to a slide stop causing problems:

And YES a Op Slide wanting to hang for a second can cause bolt damage. Recall a guy who wasted 2 bolts before he swapped out a slide....... That cured his problem.

Good luck to you.

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2019 at 6:32am
As opposed to machining on an irreplaceable receiver, eliminate all slide issues. Slides are a dime-a-dozen (relatively speaking). 
I obtained a NOS slide once that had never been fitted to a carbine. I had to dress the tangs that engage the barrel channels. Look for burrs and damage on those tangs and the barrel channel itself.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2019 at 11:04am
Could be the slide is "twisted" (damaged) or even the barrel is wrt receiver (improperly installed). Both will cause the slide to drag as good as anything else
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12