The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Report, 2nd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Ar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Report, 2nd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Ar
    Posted: Nov 29 2019 at 9:15pm
This is the 2nd of 3 M-1 Carbines (2 USGI Inlands and a "Howa" Made in Japan model) that I'm having checked over and new parts replacing worn out parts on.

Before

This started my ownership as a CMP purchased "Field Grade" purchased from a friend in 2007. I had replaced the stock in the photo here but otherwise the rifle was what my friend bought in 2006 (I have his paperwork).

Decent shooter but sometimes picky on mags, as Carbines can be.

After buying a new production Fulton Armory M-1 Carbine last fall I was impressed with the fit and quality of their work. I decided to have them check over all my Carbines, doing a "Blue Sky" import marked rifle 1st. After the 1st rate job they did on that rifle I then decided to send this one in for a tune up and oil change

After

Unfortunately after the initial inspection FA gave me the bad news. My plan had been to keep the 1943 Inland barrel, assuming it was in better shape than it was. Fulton informed me that that barrel was shot out, gauging "3+".

That meant 1 or 2 things, replacing the barrel or not being able to shoot it much longer. I choose the former. While I do like the "collectability" factor on M-1 Carbines I also like being able to trust every firearm I own in case the SHTF.

FA also replaced the slide, evidently that a high wear item on Carbines and can cause FTF's. They also replaced springs as needed and tuned up the rear sight.

Enough chatter, time for some range action

The 1st 25 rounds at 25 yards using a local indoor range, bench rested. This was a function check to see how it liked PPU 110gn ammo after the rework (it had been a tad finicky with this brand before)

No issues, and the sights seemed pretty much on the money and tight.

2nd 50 rounds. Now, before anyone credits me that's still only 25 yards bench rested. The Criterion chrome lined match grade barrel is like a laser at this range, hopefully when I can get to an outdoor 50 and 100 yard range I can keep the groups in the 10 ring benching.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL699/3993360/24526570/414344402.jpg

Last 50 rounds. 1st 25 still benched, top 25 "headshots" standing up.

After that I called it a day and took home 75 rounds. The rifle never missed a beat, and as I worked up to a full mag the last 100 rounds ran like a Swiss watch

I can't wait to get this one, the 1st one and the next to a decent 100 yard range

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2019 at 7:45pm
Nice report. Sounds like you are having fun. Glad to hear that new barrel has got your carbine working smoothly. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2019 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Nice report. Sounds like you are having fun. Glad to hear that new barrel has got your carbine working smoothly. 

Like having a new gun
 Post Reply Post Reply