The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Repair Screws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Repair Screws
    Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 10:34am
Anyone know of a source for the brass stock repair screws/pins?

I have a T3 practically pristine Inland stock in beautiful wood with the routine crack in front of the bridge. I have used a dowel before, but would like the screw-fix. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 11:30am
FTC, Maybe check with Frank Derrico on MILSURPS, I understand that he is a stock repair expert.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 12:44pm

You can also use plain threaded brass rod which you can buy pre-threaded (say 6-32) or thread yourself with a die. Simplest to just buy the machine screw at Home DePot. It comes with a convenient slotted head for installation, no need to cut your own.

The 6-32 thread requires a #34 drill (8-32 needs a #29 drill). Drill the hole, fill with epoxy, and screw in the thread. When cured, cut off excess thread flush with the surface.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 1:36pm
Always wondered exactly how they did this type repair. I had an RSG highwood once where someone actually placed three of these type screws through the thinner wood at the slide clearance, with only the very tiniest amount of drill run-out, it was an amazing repair.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 2:12pm
Yep...those folks knew how to do it. That is what I wanted to achieve....something close to what they did. I may have to “construct” one like mentioned above.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 4:56pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2019 at 5:14pm
There I go making something complicated out of something simple. I never considered looking at places like Brownells.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2019 at 1:00pm
I always threaded brass rod myself then drilled the hole, epoxied the hole and crack then screwed in the rod after clamping. Quick clean up after it set and file down the end of the rod. Touch up the wood with a little BLO and you're done. Easy to do and good way to save a cracked stock.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply