Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Jim Flavin (Carbine Club)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Jim Flavin (Carbine Club)
    Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 11:22pm
It is with deep regret we bring the sad new of a passing 
of a long time member Jim 'JimF4M1s' Flavin 

Jim in front of the Springfield Armory Organ of Muskets

It is with a heavy heart that we report another loss to the carbine community. Jim was well known on the Milsurps forum as a moderator as well as a long time Carbine Club member and contributor. Jim was a man of honor and honesty. For many, Jim was a mentor.

Jim was born and raised in Northern California on May 7, 1949. Jim passed away on Saturday, November 16, 2019, at the age of 70 from a long, hard-fought battle with cancer.

Jim and his wife Barbara celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary back on July 31st.
They met in 1966 as teenagers and married in 1968. He was a beloved husband and father.

Jim joined the Navy in Oct 1967 and trained at Amphibious Base Coronado in San Diego.
He was assigned as an engine-man on a four-man Assault Craft.
He served four years four months, 34 of those months in Vietnam.
Jim served three combat tours in 68, 69, and 70. From Da nang.... north.
He would attend his old unit's memorial at Coronado every year. 

He celebrated life and appreciated the time he shared with his family. He commented once that "When my wife is broken up a bit, I remind her, we just went down to Coronado for my old unit memorial. I have had 51 more years than the men we honor each year at that memorial."

We'll remember him for the man he was. Helpful to new and seasoned collectors. Always willing to share knowledge and his collection. He had a deep love for our Flag, Country, Those who serve and our Wounded Warriors.

It was Jim's wish that consideration be given to a donation to The Wounded Warriors Project or a Charity of your choice.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 11:31pm
Dan, Thank you.... You know this was a big help for me.
Jim was my friend... I'll miss 'Poking the Bear'.
God Bless Him.

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 11:51pm
I did not know Jim as a relative noobie but the way you talk about him he sounds like a great guy. I can appreciate the sacrifices he made to serve his country and happy to hear of his contributions to our shared hobby. A nice write up about him, Dan, and I wish his family and friends the very best. Sorry to the guys that knew him for your loss.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2019 at 8:33am
RIP Jim.

I did not know him. But, it is clear to this forum novice,  that Jim was a significant contributor to this forum, a respected VN veteran, and will very much be missed here.  Prayers for his family during this time of loss.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2019 at 12:48pm
Jim was a great guy. He took his mod duties over on the Milsurps forum seriously, but unlike some mods there was no ego or sense he was ever on a condescending power trip. He was also my go to person on questions about 30 round carbine mags when I came across one I had doubts on.

RIP Jim
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2019 at 8:27pm
A great loss to our hobby and to our country. RIP Jim!

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2019 at 1:39pm
R.I.P Jim. Did not know him but he sounds like quite a guy.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2022 at 11:26pm
RIP Jim.

Hopefully, Jim’s act of kindness to me was passed on well. Didn’t follow the letter of the law, but felt it was necessary to honor him and close an open loop.

Never got to meet him, but enjoyed our exchanges despite his failing health.
 Post Reply Post Reply