The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel length and flash suppressor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel length and flash suppressor
    Posted: Nov 20 2019 at 8:48pm
Hi,
I'm ready to order a Fulton M1.
I will be using it for home defense. 
I'd like to get it with an 18 inch barrel, but would like to know if dropping down to 16 inch, with flash suppressor would be ideal in the unfortunate event I shoot it inside at night.
Installing a birdcage on the 18 seems kind of unwieldy.
Any advice? Thanks
Built2Spill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2019 at 9:59pm
To be more specific :
Would all of the powder from full power loads burn inside the 16 inch barrel?
The velocity decrease shouldn't be that much, but I wonder if muzzle flash would not be much different between a suppressed 16 and standard 18.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2019 at 10:47am
I would stick with the 18" if your plan on getting a traditional wooden or paratrooper stock. It just looks more "natural" and I doubt the muzzle flash will be that much different.

I have the Fulton standard length with standard stock and it handles fine IMO for a close defense weapon. If the SHTF I would change the stock out for a Choate folding stock I have on hand but that's only for ease of carry.

I would suggest getting the upgraded chrome lined barrel when you order, it's nice. I have 1 on my FA built rifle plus I had FA install one on a Blue Sky marked barrel over the summer

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I would stick with the 18" if your plan on getting a traditional wooden or paratrooper stock. It just looks more "natural" and I doubt the muzzle flash will be that much different.

I have the Fulton standard length with standard stock and it handles fine IMO for a close defense weapon. If the SHTF I would change the stock out for a Choate folding stock I have on hand but that's only for ease of carry.

I would suggest getting the upgraded chrome lined barrel when you order, it's nice. I have 1 on my FA built rifle plus I had FA install one on a Blue Sky marked barrel over the summer

Thank you sir for the reply. 
I ordered the paratrooper with a chrome lined 18 incher, nm trigger upgrade, and scout rail. Big smile
I'm excited. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2019 at 9:13am
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 3:56am
Thanks for the great links. The ARFcom thread was particularly entertaining, and you handled yourself well in response to the detractors.

It is frustrating when people expect you to adhere to some universal value system assigned from a market or a group of experts. I decided  on the M1 after much mulling over different platforms for HD. I have 5.56 rifle, shotgun, pistol, and etc., but the. 30 round makes sense to me. Shooting a high pressure rifle round inside is eardrum destroyers, and frankly overkill.

Also, if Fulton makes a carbine at least as good as an original, but with a lifetime warranty, and someone believes the platform is a superior option for an application, how is that impractical?

Anyways, I look forward to getting familiar with the M1 and reloading for it.

Take care
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Built2Spill Built2Spill wrote:

Thanks for the great links. The ARFcom thread was particularly entertaining, and you handled yourself well in response to the detractors.

It is frustrating when people expect you to adhere to some universal value system assigned from a market or a group of experts. I decided  on the M1 after much mulling over different platforms for HD. I have 5.56 rifle, shotgun, pistol, and etc., but the. 30 round makes sense to me. Shooting a high pressure rifle round inside is eardrum destroyers, and frankly overkill.

Also, if Fulton makes a carbine at least as good as an original, but with a lifetime warranty, and someone believes the platform is a superior option for an application, how is that impractical?

Anyways, I look forward to getting familiar with the M1 and reloading for it.

Take care

I've got 2 other Carbines at Fulton getting work done, I trust them enough to work or have had work done on other Carbines.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Range-Report-New-M-1-Carbine-rebuilt-by-Fulton-Armory/2-501867/

This one here is like owning a new rifle, it shoots as well as the new one and I've actually put more rounds through it (600 vs 300 so far).

I'll get the 2nd USGI Inland back from them in a couple weeks. I was hoping I could keep the 1943 Inland barrel on it but Fulton told me it gauged a "3" and was too worn out, I'm having a new barrel installed. It'll either be chrome lined if the bolt head spaces right or the standard USGI spec one Criterion makes if it doesn't.

Either way I'll have another Carbine that I can trust 100%, as opposed to hunting around looking at worn out Carbines that people want outrageous prices for anymore    
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 2:01pm
"Either way I'll have another Carbine that I can trust 100%, as opposed to hunting around looking at worn out Carbines that people want outrageous prices for anymore."

Agreed. I think many people feel the platform should be relegated to a fun range toy or a "good enough, if all you have" tool, but I like you feel it's absolutely relevant for modern use, so why not buy new? 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 2:16pm
If I want to engage targets past 100-yards, I will drag-out something else. At this stage of my life...coffee cans at 50-yards off-hand is completely adequate. The armadillo’s don’t stand a chance around here.

Pretty sure most people don’t desire the gun just for the caliber. I like it in any caliber and have one of the few chambered in 9mm. Now that is cheap shootin’.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Built2Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 4:29pm
I think the cartridge is awesome, maybe ideal for 0 to 100 yards-just the thoughts of the original engineers. 
It would be cool if someone would chamber a modern pdw in. 30.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

If I want to engage targets past 100-yards, I will drag-out something else. At this stage of my life...coffee cans at 50-yards off-hand is completely adequate. The armadillo’s don’t stand a chance around here.

Pretty sure most people don’t desire the gun just for the caliber. I like it in any caliber and have one of the few chambered in 9mm. Now that is cheap shootin’.

I have a soft spot for the Carbine because it was my 1st rifle. I'm also thinking of the relatives who will inherit my Carbines when I'm gone. I want reliable rifles that can be used the way they were intended, as defensive weapons with the range and accuracy of the design
 Post Reply Post Reply