Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recoil springs
    Posted: Nov 20 2019 at 4:39pm
I have had an interesting observation, my Inand took up having issues with weak extraction and failure to feed randomly. 

The failure to feed was always with 30 round mags, worse if the mag was fully loaded and the weak extraction was not all the time but regular.  Factory and hand loads.

Comparing my two rifles I noticed the recoil spring on the Quality Hardware rifle was more aggressive, I replaced the spring on the Inland just because it was needed. 

Not only did it resolve the feeding issue with the full 30 round mags but the weak extraction disappeared. I can run my 30 round and 15 round mags with zero failures. 

The stripping of the rounds makes sense but I can only surmise that the springs more positive forward pressure on the slide prevents the rearward movement of the slide until the pressure curve builds up.
David Milisock
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2019 at 4:53pm
Yep, weakened recoil springs can cause lots of problems, as can the supposed high power springs. Glad you fixed your problem without replacing a bunch of parts unnecessarily. Recoil springs and mag issues seem to be the biggest issues with carbines in regards to reliability.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2019 at 4:56pm
I'm 65 years old and I've got issues my Inland is 70+ so I'll cut it some slack.

With that said she's running like a Swiss watch now.
David Milisock
 Post Reply Post Reply