Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unmarked front sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unmarked front sights
    Posted: Nov 14 2019 at 7:36pm
Can anyone tell me who may have made these front sights or what manufacturers they would be consistent with. Pretty sure one is a Lyman for Winchester “thumbnail” sight but the other I have no clue. It has a ridge down the middle and there is something there but I think they are just milling markings. I can’t really make out anything close to a letter. Both are definitely milled and and have no markings on them.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2019 at 9:03pm
The best way to determine if either is Winchester is to look at it from the side and if there ears are rounded then it's probably WRA. Also, on the one with the ridge behind the blade it could be Winchester since they had one with that feature.
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2019 at 9:15pm
The thumbnail looks pretty rounded to me. Thank You! Here are some other pics if they might narrow it down any more. The top is the thumbnail. Bottom is the ridge.[IMG]uploads/5539/807D3A29-DBE8-493C-B05A-

Edited by Jt22453 - Nov 14 2019 at 10:00pm
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2019 at 10:50am
In the second picture the Winchester sight is on top, it even has their style pin staking on it. The bottom one in that picture I am not so sure of, could be just an unmarked one or perhaps it's just missing the N. Hope this helps.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Jt22453 Jt22453 wrote:

The thumbnail looks pretty rounded to me.

@JT,
I believe you have Why Carbines' point a little twisted.
If I can add.... 
The 'Thumb nail" milling pattern is not just found on WRA/Lyman made front sights.
Lyman made sights have a longer arc or curve on the outer protective ear on the back side.

Pictured here are the right sides.
WRA on left, RMC/TR

Left sides, RMC/TR on the left, WRA on the right:

Top View, WRA on the bottom, RMC/TR on the top:

Here is a view of a N that also has a similar 'Thumb nail' milling pattern:

Left to Right: WRA.....N on a Inland.......RMC- TR

Knowing how the outer ears are shaped and sloped is the best way to ID a Lyman/WRA.
That arc profile on the back side of the outer protective ears.

Thanks,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2019 at 1:51pm
I was using the thumbnail more as a descriptor in the pictures the same way I used the ridge.I did not know for sure it was a WRA sight for sure until he described the ears. I knew others used the that milling pattern but thought they were more different than that. I am, by no means, an expert on any of this stuff and thank you for the clarification. Picked these up for next to nothing just to have but I am happy at least one of them is confirmed. Thanks WhyCarbines and Painter for your helping me understand more in-depth what it is I have.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2019 at 2:37pm
JT,
Hope it helped and didn't offend.
Better time spent here than outside shoveling snow.

A Macro picture of the Sights' ridge area may help show up a marking.
Doing this has brought out some markings for me that I otherwise couldn't see.
And like Why Carb's stated it may have missed getting stamped.
Nice grab, seems like sights are drying up.

Cheers,
Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2019 at 3:01pm
No offense taken. I was just explaining why I used the wording I used. If I am mistaken or unclear,I would rather someone set me straight. As I said, I did not know the similarities were that close on those type of sights. Very good info that helped me and hopefully others on down the line. I appreciate any input to help me along the way. I’m not sure if I can get a better pic but if I do, I will post one. Love coming on here and finding out new little tidbits I didn’t know before. Sorry about the snow!
 Post Reply Post Reply