The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J D Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy
    Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 3:36am
I stumbled on to this site from the CMP forums.
I see some of the same names on here as I did there  I`m kinda new to carbines but after having a few I have decided that I really like the Underwoods, to date I`ve owned Quality Hardware, inland and of course Underwood my favorite being a 2.66M B stamped Singer sub contract.
Molon Labe
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 7:28am
Welcome to the carbine brain-trust. Most of us on this forum are over on that forum and most forums in-between. I am only an apprentice enthusiast. Only reason I have advanced from a novice is the knowledgeable members on this forum. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 8:44am
Welcome here.
Underwood was probably the only one I never had a decent example from with early features. Finally got one this year which is also a late B code.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 10:46am
JD,

Welcome to the club.

If you are close enough to Richmond stop by our Carbine Collectors Club booth. The next show is on November 9–10 at the Richmond International Raceway.

Hope to see you there and happy collecting.
J D Shelby View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J D Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 11:12am
Thanks I was thinking about going there to get with Gus`s Garand`s.  Got to get a good correct bolt for my Springfield.
Molon Labe
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 1:25pm
Gus is treasure to the armorer community and we are lucky to have him local. As you know, he can work on anything. He finish reamed a carbine barrel for me once right at the show. Fascinating watching him work and listening to his stories. Didn’t get to see him last show as had a display table, but hope to in the next and will continue recommending him to other members for carbine work. His tool set is incredIble and I’d guess most, if not all of his tools are original. He has function checked many a carbine for me.

If you attend, bring your carbine as we would love to see it. We are not gunsmiths though, just collectors. That would be Gus’s department. Would love to see your Springfield too as I know little about them.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 2:08pm
Welcome to this forum! My favorite Underwood is a Bavaria Prison Guard flipper, though not correct all early parts and numbered to the rifle.

When Gus was over on the M14 forum, I always enjoyed reading his posts. Super knowledgeable, I learned a lot from reading them, and as mentioned entertaining stories as well. If I were located closer, he'd be first on my list to build up an M14 parts kit I have.

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

JD,

Welcome to the club.

If you are close enough to Richmond stop by our Carbine Collectors Club booth. The next show is on November 9–10 at the Richmond International Raceway.

Hope to see you there and happy collecting.

Hoping to see our local carbine collectors on Saturday, 9 November.  I’ll bring my new Bavarian that I just purchased from Jim.  It arrives Monday; can’t wait. 😊

Semper Fi, Bruce
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2019 at 9:23pm
@GotSnlB28 - I too have read all of Gus's M14 posts. He even has his own section, I think. Great stuff. I had a UW I cut, Bavarian RP from the CMP, but alas, put it up for sale recently. Gotta do what we gotta do to fund our carbine addiction is what I tell myself.

@BER - We'll be there. More here. Looking forward to seeing your new pickup from Jim. Congrats.

@JD
- I'm also a fan of Underwood's, but have yet to find or see one in person with a letter stamped on the heel. Some day... BTW, here's a great thread about Manufacturer locations called "Where are They Today", including pictures of the Underwood factory here.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J D Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 7:49am
I`ve had Gus cut the chambers on 4 Garands and 3 carbines so far. It is always a pleasure to hear his stories and he is an absolute Craftsman. After I got into the M1 Garands I had to learn the hard way he only does certian shows I`ts well worth the trip to Richmond when I need work done I have learned so much watching him and asking questions. I also learned what tools I needed to check for proper operation.
Molon Labe
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:40am
J.D., Welcome. I had thought you were already a member, Must have been CMP conversations.

Best, Dan
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J D Shelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 10:46am
Yes it was the CMP forums.

Molon Labe
 Post Reply Post Reply