The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy, Florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy, Florida
    Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 9:53am
I recently acquired a new-to-me National Postal Meter. I have been a long-time owner of a Universal, purchased new in 1980.

The Universal has been a reliable shooter for all these years, although around '92, I replaced the bolt with a USGI round bolt, as the original was coming apart due to corrosion in the extractor/ejector assy. I sure wish I still had that original bolt as I now have the knowledge of how to repair it, but it was an inferior part anyway.

The NPM is a good shooter, with a flat bolt, an Underwood BBL, adjustable rear sight, push button safety, type I mag catch & Winchester BBL band W/bayo lug. The stock has been reworked, as I see sanding marks and no maker stamps anywhere.

I plan to "restore" it to "original" a few parts at a time, while retaining all the parts it came with, should I decide to sell it some time in the future (no time soon, I assure you).

My first question is: The former owner removed the rear sight to take photos for GB. How should I re-stake it without causing additional damage?

Second question: Where do I find mfr marks on the parts in the trigger group?

Karl, 68coupe
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 10:39am
Hi and welcome to the Collectors Club from New Mexico!

I would not attempt to re-stake the rear sight. If it's loose, a little dab of Loctite should hold it in place well enough and won't cause any damage.

Each part in the trigger group, except for pins and springs should have markings. I would suggest getting the book,"U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 8th Edition" by Craig Reisch. It is a good starting place for new collectors and only cost around $30. Once you start going through your trigger group you will see the markings.
JackP
68coupe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 11:12am
Thank you! I'll definitely try the Locktite.

I bought the Universal NIB for $115 in 1980. I really haven't had any of the typical issues reported about Universal's. An occasional Failure-To-Feed (FTF), usually related to faulty mag loading or dirty feed ramp after long periods of use. Nothing a different mag or a quick shot of oil & a bronze brush hasn't fixed.

I also own a AO Semi-auto 1927 Thompson with EZ pull springs, a Korean War commemerative 1928, A CMP Garand, 2 1911's, a Beretta 92 compact & a prewar MAB Model D.

Going to the range today to kill a whole lot of paper with a few of them.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 10:01pm
Welcome. Sounds like a well rounded collection.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 10:01pm
Regarding securing the rear sight, Loctite 620 retaining compound has worked great for me. You'd never know it was there. Clean dovetail well. Welcome, and enjoy your carbine!
68coupe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2019 at 3:06pm
After the rage yesterday, upon cleaning, I learned that the trigger housing & slide are both marked "SG" for Saginaw. The BBL band is actually marked AMCO. Can't find any marks on the front sight, but I haven't removed it yet. Rear adjustable sight is marked IP CO.

Karl, 68coupe
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by 68coupe 68coupe wrote:

After the rage yesterday, upon cleaning, I learned that the trigger housing & slide are both marked "SG" for Saginaw. The BBL band is actually marked AMCO. Can't find any marks on the front sight, but I haven't removed it yet. Rear adjustable sight is marked IP CO.

Karl, 68coupe

The front sights are always marked externally, if they were marked. Unmarked usually have characteristics that can be used to identify the manufacturer. Best not to remove the front sight unless you have to. There is a tool for that, but the barrel can get scratched or the sight loose.
Rear sight should be "IRCO" - International Register Company.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2019 at 5:25pm
68coupe, welcome to the forum. Looks like you are enjoying your collection. You've got good answers to your questions. Post regularly and photos are nice.
68coupe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2019 at 8:08pm
Found a very faint R stamped at the bottom of the rear grip. I'll post photos tomorrow.

I have quite a few 15 & 30 rd mags. All 15's are marked. NONE of the 30's are. Still have the 5 rd the Universal came with. Might need it for hunting some day.
Karl, 68 coupe
NPM, 43
Universal, 80
Kahr 1827-A1 Thompson 2019
SA M1 Garand 42
AO 1911A1
Taurus PT1911
Beretta M92(compact)
 Post Reply Post Reply