The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22 Carbine Not Resetting Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatrockarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 Carbine Not Resetting Trigger
    Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 10:58pm
I have a Iver Johnson made by ERMA that will not reset the trigger every time it is fired.  Sometimes it will reset 2-3 and then it will not reset any.  Everything seems to be in working order.  I bought a new mag and going to try it but not sure it will help, but I have seen crazier things.  Any help would be appreciated.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 4:01am
When one does not pay attention and makes assumptions based on what he thought he read....he steps off into the quicksand.

Anything I previously mentioned and someone might have read applies to the Caliber-30, or other center-fire variations based on the Caliber-30 design. I know nothing abut the action in an ERMA 22-caliber carbine.

Edited by floydthecat - Oct 15 2019 at 11:35am
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 12:06pm
Try a good cleaning.
Cleaning and Disassembly instructions can be found in the link below.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_EM8.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 12:19pm
I would think that anything that applies to the run-of-the-mill blow-back 22 would apply to the ERMA and as Wayne mentioned, a thorough cleaning and lubing is a good idea. Anything that hampers the movement of the bolt to the rear under recoil will affect hammer-cocking and trigger re-setting. This could be springs, burrs, rubs and gunk. 22 semi's can be real picky about ammo as well. Try different brands. I have had some experience with German 22 semi-auto handguns and most demand the use of high quality ammo.

PS:
I have never had the occasion to disassemble an ERMA, but B4 I would...I think I would remove the furniture and give it a thorough brake/carburetor cleaner bath. An air compressor is handy to blow it out, or it will eventually evaporate. I would follow that up with a liberal application of something like a light spray-lubricant such as Remoil. It will seep into the cracks-n-crevasses.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2019 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I would think that anything that applies to the run-of-the-mill blow-back 22 would apply to the ERMA and as Wayne mentioned, a thorough cleaning and lubing is a good idea. Anything that hampers the movement of the bolt to the rear under recoil will affect hammer-cocking and trigger re-setting. This could be springs, burrs, rubs and gunk. 22 semi's can be real picky about ammo as well.

I have to say, based on experience gained reviving the Erma .22 that I purchased here as a parts gun, the Erma design is anything but run-of-the-mill. Its action is very different than other .22 designs, and it only resembles a Carbine.

Be painstakingly precise in your reassembly, if disassembled. The action is unforgiving, and if something is not positioned "just right," it can lead to another frustrating 15 minutes of getting back to square one. I would check that you have the vertical spring (I think it's a sear spring) positioned correctly, which is the only vertical spring that I recall in the center of the action. It can easily lay sideways, or be positioned incorrectly, or move while trying to get everything back together. Once you have it right, the action should operate very smoothly. If it does not feel smooth to manually operate the action, something is out of place.

There is a very good set of instructions on the Carbine informational pages associated with this forum.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Glen in Fla View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen in Fla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2019 at 8:27am
As has been suggested, first make sure it's not all crudded-up, as most seem to be.
Davids advice to be "painstakingly precise" is the key during reassembly.
The instructions on the website are clear.
1 screw & 2 pins attach the receiver to the frame, it will slide right on, the pin holes have to line up perfectly, and the pins seem to be a fairly light slip fit, no real hammer & punch involved.
It doesn't require any undue effort, it's a matter of having everything lined up and the correct position, and holding the bits together while you slide it on; if something isn't quite lined up, there's a problem.
Like anything else, after you've done it a few times it gets easier.

Glen in Fla
 Post Reply Post Reply