The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range report - 1943 S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range report - 1943 S'G'
    Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 3:52am
Well... I've put a couple hundred rounds thru my first and beloved M1, an S'G' with IP trigger parts, UW barrel, and type 1 barrel band and rear sights. I have posted before on this, but still haven't gotten around to permanently fixing the broken wood in the stock, but previous cleaning and retightening has held everything securely so far. Once I remember where it actually hits vs. sighted I think I'm doing OK.

15 rounds at 100 yards. Aimpoint is in the lower right corner (about r4-c4). I'd like to get the sighting a bit better, but I'm not daring to try moving the rear sight for the moment. Doesn't help much that the front sight is the same size as the entire target at that distance... A few feed problems, but I think it is a spring issue with the magazine.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 7:41am
Great shooting! IIRC, the wood under the recoil plate chipped out. I'm not a wood worker. What are you planning on doing to fix it?

That's a nice looking carbine!

And a Garand to boot!
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 2:13pm
I have some 2-part epoxy (wood working type) and some black/brown dyes. I was going to try to wash the surface wax/grease out of the top layers of the broken area with some solvents and qtips, then match to color and epoxy the chip back in place... Just too many other things to do at the moment.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 9:03pm
Had a nice IBM that had a small crack in the rear recoil plate area. Wasn't bad, but not the kind of stock for a novice woodworker like me to practice on.

Should you fix your stock, I'd be interested in seeing the results. In the meantime, straight shooting.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 12:11am
OP, it looks like you had a fun time at the range. Nice shooting. You are a better shooter than me. Best wishes on your repair work on the stock. Please keep us posted on that project. 
 Post Reply Post Reply