Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fall 2019 Knob Creek Carbine Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall 2019 Knob Creek Carbine Report
    Posted: Oct 12 2019 at 5:13pm
I did my usual Friday of Knob Creek visit yesterday. For those unfamiliar, it's the semi-annual machine gun shoot that takes place in West Point, KY at the Knob Creek Gun Range. I enjoy the fellowship, and the gun show, and this was at least my 25th visit.

I thought I'd provide an update on what I saw in the way of Carbine items. First, the current market for various NFA Carbines appears to be as follows:

Enforcer: $6K
WWII M1 Carbine Conversions: $11K
Trigger Packs: $13K (I did not see any at the show, but conferred with a high volume MG dealer)
Original Inland M2's: $16K to $18K, depending upon condition

Century had WWII era Carbine tracer ammo available. (Photos below)

I saw a box of Universal Carbine ammo that I thought was interesting. (Photo below)

Folke Myrvang had Danish 15-round magazine pouches for $5 each.

I looked seriously at an AO IBM for $900. It had an Underwood 8-43 barrel on it, and the Ordnance wheel cartouche had about a 2" x 2" stain over it from where a decal had formerly been applied. The stock would need some TLC to get it to where I wanted it, but I liked the price, at $900. If I'd had the cash on me, it would have come home.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2019 at 6:18pm
Are the magazine pockets the same pattern as USGI? Pics?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2019 at 6:52pm
They are similar, but made from a lighter color material. I should have bought one. I just texted a buddy who's still there to see if he can pick one up. Hopefully he sees my text...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2019 at 10:13pm
I seen these mag pouches a while back, while helping ID a Dutch canteen cover.

See reply 1 and 34, 

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2019 at 10:16pm
Dutch issue for carbine
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 7:52am
The Dutch made their own M1 Carbine mag pouches? Learn something new everyday.

The one on the left marked KLU; underneath it looks like an NSN.

@David Albert - What does it mean when an M2 is listed as a registered receiver? Could it be moved from one stock to another? If it cracks and is unusable, then that is the end of it since it can't be replaced?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 8:26am
Not @David Albert but a registered receiver is just that. Like any other registered part you cannot replace it but you can mix and match it with any other parts you like. So yes, you can stick it in another stock, put another barrel on it, etc. But if you irrepairably break it, you're SOL (unless you're SOT). HTH
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 9:24am
Thanks blackfish, that is what I was thinking. If the receiver is registered and cracks in two, that is it unless it can somehow be repaired. Explains why trigger packs are so comparatively expensive.

Those wooden ammo boxes sure would make nice bases for a coffee table. Hmmm...
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 12:17pm
I was able to contact my friend who was still there yesterday evening, and he got me one of the Danish mag pouches. I'll probably see him at OGCA next month, and get it from him then.

Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

@David Albert - What does it mean when an M2 is listed as a registered receiver? Could it be moved from one stock to another? If it cracks and is unusable, then that is the end of it since it can't be replaced?

m1a1fan,

The way you have worded your question, it could be one of two things:

1. An original M2 marked receiver from the factory. That is still a registered receiver, but more than likely if it were so, the seller would call it an original M2.

2. This is much more likely...It's an M1 Carbine that has been converted to full auto, and is transferable under the NFA. The receiver may or may not be hand marked as M2. It could also be a pre-May, or a post-May dealer sample, instead of transferable, but the vast majority of converted Carbines are transferable.

If the receiver cracks, it would need to be repaired.

Transferable = You and I may own under the NFA of 1934 ($200 tax, paperwork, wait time, etc.)

Pre-May 1986 Dealer Sample = An SOT may own, or former SOT may own as a "keeper," and it is only able to be traded/sold to other SOT's ("Class III" dealers)

Post May 1986 Dealer Sample = "Posty" - An SOT may own, and a manufacturer may make under certain circumstances - Some require LEO letterhead request for demonstration in order to acquire - Basically, this status is to allow R&D to improve small arms design, and also to allow importation of machine guns for LE

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 8:55pm
Good explanations. Thanks. Have seen more than a few legal FA carbines for sale lately and trying to understand the differences between them and the wide disparity in expected price.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Good explanations. Thanks. Have seen more than a few legal FA carbines for sale lately and trying to understand the differences between them and the wide disparity in expected price.

m1a1fan,

What kind of prices have you seen recently for different FA Carbines? I'm just wanting to add a few price data points, if you'd care to share what you've seen.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 4:14pm
Hey Folks,

Being on the 'learning curve' I gotta ask.... what does "an SOT" mean??  Just trying to keep up.

Thanks
Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 4:19pm
special occupation tax.

I believe it is not a stand alone FFL, rather an add on to certain FFL classes 
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 5:24pm
New2brass,

Got it..!  Thanks for the reply.  Learning is great! Except when it is obtained the HARD WAY.
Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 6:12pm
Anyone see that ABC used film from the Knob Creek event and broadcast it as Turkey's current offensive vs the Kurds ?

Censored Idiots !!
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 6:55pm
ABC? No, I watch CNN. Idiots?

I agree, on Pennsylvania Avenue too.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 8:11pm
Apparently the KCR footage that ABC used was from one of the 2017 shoots.

If you have never been to a Knob Creek shoot, put it on your list. The night shoots are unforgettable. After being to so many now, we usually just attend during the day on Friday, though now, since the shoot no longer runs through Sunday, there are night shoots on both Friday and Saturday nights.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply