Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howa gas piston nut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa gas piston nut
    Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 1:01pm
Hello All,
     I'm going back to a show today for another look at a Saginaw S'G'.  The serial number and Underwood 12 - 43 barrel seem to fall into the correct time frame. 
     Most of it seems GI, except that the gas piston nut is of the Howa design, two lugs.
     Has anyone seen this or might you have an idea?  Did Uncle Sam use these during refurb?
     I have searched my limited library but no joy there.

Many Thanks

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 2:25pm
I would think any parts made under US contract would be to US specifications. 
There are Howa rear sights that are US spec. The ones on the commercial and for the Thailand Police are different.

It is highly unlikely that nut would be part of a US ordnance refurbish or rebuild.
this would require a different tool, training and at least a technical bulletin.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 2:32pm
Thank You, makes good sense.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by new2brass new2brass wrote:

It is highly unlikely that nut would be part of a US ordnance refurbish or rebuild.
this would require a different tool, training and at least a technical bulletin.

Yah, required training using the different tool highly likely.

Lefty lucy righty tighty.

Seriously, was there no torque spec for this fastener?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Originally posted by new2brass new2brass wrote:

Yah, required training using the different tool highly likely.

Lefty lucy righty tighty.

Seriously, was there no torque spec for this fastener?

Seems rudimentary, but it requires a special tool. 

consider who was doing what and their age as well as skill level. Compound that with the number of firearms that you may have to deal with.

There were MWO for the magazine catch, very simple for someone with experience. Same with the adjustable rear sights.

PS monthly also pointed out not to tighten slings, but to leave slack on the carbine and I believe the garand when storing, as a cotton sling can shrink and cause the stock to bow. Seems rudimentary, but they published it

As to the piston nut FM 23-7 from 1952 pages 92 and 93 outline the procedure for removing and cleaning the nut, no torque specs. It states to use the gas piston nut removal tool, M5 tool.

With that if the M5 tool had three prongs what would the person doing the maintenance do to remove a nut with two prongs?  there would have to be something explaining the new tool and what it was used for. 

BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 2:47pm
Hi All,  has anyone ever seen such a tool or knows where one is available please?
Thank You
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 3:58pm
How are the prongs situated? You might have to manufacture a tool from a socket or something. That would not be that difficult to do.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 5:28pm
They are 180 degrees apart
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 5:36pm
Piece of cake.

Sounds like you could use a cheap thin-wall socket that will slide over the piston and sit on top of the nut. Mark the socket in the two places where you need the notches and open them up with a grinder, file or however. All you need to do is remove the nut and you can replace it with the GI 3-prong. But, then you will need the wrench for that.

Was there any reason you wanted to remove it in the first place? 
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2019 at 10:08am
Only to clean out the gas cylinder as the piston is not freely sliding back and forth like my M1A does.  Although the more I read here about the self cleaning aspect maybe I should try other avenues first. Like soaking in Kroil.
Thank you for your socket method!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2019 at 11:26am
General rule-of-thumb for gas pistons is...if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Free it up if at all possible by other means if it’s stuck. If it’s just sluggish, it will still likely work just fine.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by BruceGFL BruceGFL wrote:

Only to clean out the gas cylinder as the piston is not freely sliding back and forth like my M1A does.  Although the more I read here about the self cleaning aspect maybe I should try other avenues first. Like soaking in Kroil.
Thank you for your socket method!

M1A1.
 Post Reply Post Reply