Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sling Experts Forward Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling Experts Forward Please
    Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 3:57pm
The snap marked....."United Carr Boston Mass". Stamped "IRT 9-62" in the d-clip indention that pressed it on.

Vietnam era made by Carr Fasteners???
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 4:01pm
United Carr mad hardware that someone else used to make the slings. The marking is "MRT"  for Mildew Restive Treatment.
probably a post war or Korean era sling that was treated in 62 (make sure its not 52)
In Vietnam I would think the nylon slings would be preferred.

Tagging this thread 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 4:03pm
I don't believe Carr made Web, just made fastening hardware..

I'd guess post WWII produced.
Not sure what I in IRT means but if it's something like the Mildew treatment then likely treated 9-62.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 4:40pm
Are the D tips brass?

Per Bill Ricca:

"Post war the D tips were both steel and brass. During WWII the C tips were just steel.

Most brass D tips were from the early 1960's. There was only one contract in the 1950's with brass.

After WWII I have been able to find only one maker, but there were at least 4 different contracts from 1951-1964. I suspect there was more than one maker, but I cannot confirm any."
Living Free because of those that serve.....
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 4:55pm

Have the exact sling. The snap is "United Carr Boston Mass". Both brass d clip ends stamped "MRT 9-62" in the indentations.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 5:05pm
The date is definitely 62 and it’s brass. Probably MRT as well. The first character was obviously the right leg of an M. 

Thanks to all for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply