Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GCA Convention 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GCA Convention 2019
    Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 8:24pm
A great many members here are also members of the Garand Collectors Association.
The convention is being held this year at the Springfield Armory in Springfield Mass on September 27th to the 29th.

If you plan on attending make a post here.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 12:19pm
Friday Night of the GCA Convention had a meet and greet at the Springfield Armory. With a few of the club members being present the curator Alex MacKenzie pulled out a carbine to share. Seems a great many Garand guys had as much interest in this carbine as some of the other very rare Garands that were pulled out for this event.

Inland Engineering Model Serial Number 1

You can see that the prototype recoil plate had some issues. There was material replaced and the stock is pinned. This may be a production stock that was later fitted to the carbine.

Also notice the recoil plate screw, The convex shape of the head of the screw is reminiscent of those used on the trigger guard on 1903/03A3s.

Also note the slide stop detent.

the bold has a pronounced ridge and no markings on the front ring.

look at what you can see on the trigger housing group.

CCNL 123 has pictures and info on this gun by Larry Ruth with a correction in CCNL 125

There are pictures in the War Baby series, but I am unable to look them up right now.

It would be prudent to point out that this Inland number 1 is very similar to the Winchester Prototype #2 and Winchester Serial number 0
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 1:56pm
Mystery solved. Appreciate the share and the pictures. The receiver bevel is so strange. So many weird looking parts on it.

Have been reading lately about S/A and their role with the Carbine Production and later Industry Integration Committee. Interesting stuff. Great to hear they are there. 

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about the show.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 7:00pm
Can't tell for sure but it looks like at the top of the oiler slot the stock is cut down flush with the bottom of the slot.  ?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 8:41pm
Seeing that rifle up close had to make the trip! Once in a lifetime I'd guess. Very neat. I can see why they simplified the trigger group.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2019 at 12:59am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Can't tell for sure but it looks like at the top of the oiler slot the stock is cut down flush with the bottom of the slot.  ?

it is an optical illusion due to my sub par phone camera.

Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Seeing that rifle up close had to make the trip! Once in a lifetime I'd guess. Very neat. I can see why they simplified the trigger group.

The Springfield Armory Museum has many items on display that are fantastic to see. From memory they had a Garand serial number  100,000, 2,000,000, 3,000,000, and the last Springfield serial number. and they all had with high figured stocks. There are a few low numbered SA items. The displays have a incredible range of weapons including machine guns. 

check out the Organ of Muskets being cleaned

here is a walkthrough with the curator Alex Mackenzie. I did watch it yet, but think they skipped over the heavy MG room and many modern cases (ww2 and on)

If in the area I would highly recommend a visit to this historic site.
 Post Reply Post Reply