Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with finish on 1945 Inland please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with finish on 1945 Inland please
    Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 7:39am
Good Day,
     Newbie collector in need of some help please.  I am looking at a 1945 all Inland M1 Carbine and just when you think you have enough books, I don't.  This weapon has a very nice blue/black even finish all over rather than parkerized. Would that be correct for this time period?  The stock does have the crossed canons, nice reddish finish.

Thank You for any help
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 10:59am
Welcome to the forum, We need some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 11:57am
Yes Sir this is a wonderful forum,, so much information and helpful folks.  As soon as I get home will do.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 11:19am
A GI Inland carbine manufactured in 1945 will have a phosphate finish, not a black oxide/blued finish. That being said, it would be helpful to know the serial number. Some presentation carbines have been documented as having a black oxide/blued finish.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2019 at 9:25pm
Thank You both, is it okay within Forum rules to add a link to a Guns International listing? Being new here I do not want to make an error.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 2:13pm
Thanks again, my question was answered in a private post.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 4:06pm
inquiring minds want to know????????
you can post the link
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 5:44pm
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 7:20pm
Looks like the original finish to me. I have seen reference to late Inland carbines being a blackish green. Also, it could be the low lighting in which the photos were taken making it look even darker.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 7:39pm
There is one area on the flat underside of the receiver near the chamber I have a question about. I have tried but being a newbie cannot upload it from my files. Can someone help or allow me to send it to them for posting please. Not sure if it is normal line or a slight crack?

Thank You
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by BruceGFL BruceGFL wrote:

There is one area on the flat underside of the receiver near the chamber I have a question about. I have tried but being a newbie cannot upload it from my files. Can someone help or allow me to send it to them for posting please. Not sure if it is normal line or a slight crack?

Posted for BruceGFL

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 8:42pm
Thank You
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 8:59pm
Look at this picture from another thread. Disregard the arrows. The flat has a trigger housing lug that had to be machined and machined around. This leaves machining marks at times.
If that is what you are looking at I do not think it is a crack. 

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 9:06pm
If you bought that rifle... I think you done good. It's a great looking late Inland. Safety maybe has a little more wear than I'd expect given finish condition elsewhere.
BruceGFL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceGFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 9:13pm
No Sir, I have not purchased it yet. Waiting on the opinions of folks on this forum. Getting much closer now.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 9:32pm
I have to agree that the finish on the safety does not seem to fit the rest of the carbine. It would not surprise me that this carbine may have originally had a rotary safety. They were supposedly adopted about the time this carbine was manufactured. Perhaps a previous owner preferred the push safety and switched it. Still it's a nice example.
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply