Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plainfield Carbine Rack Number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wangsly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plainfield Carbine Rack Number
    Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 9:59pm
Hello guys. I recently picked up a Plainfield Carbine. 24xx serial number with no prefix or suffix. From everything I read on the Plainfield section of the site I’m guessing 1966-1967 manufacture. Carbine is in great shape, the only thing that stands out is a rack number stamped into both sides of the stock. I’m guessing old police or prison carbine? Rifle has no re-import marks. Also the normal mix of surplus GI parts for the era of production. Butt pad is the black rubber one with 2 Phillips head screws so it’s not a replacement stock.My question is, has anyone ever seen a rack number on a Plainfield of this era before? 
I’ll get some pictures up as soon as I figure out how to resize them. Thanks.
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 1:17pm
I personally haven't seen a rack number on a commercial carbine, however the stock on my S'G' has the ghost of a 78 painted on it below the recoil plate on top of the grip. It's an SA potbelly stock. I have also seen rack numbers on stocks returned from Korea and on a few GI stocks before. With the way you describe your rifle, I would not be surprised if it is a LEO trade in. Here is some information on the plainfield carbines that may be of use to you:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield.html
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 2:02pm
Not uncommon, but also not common, for a Plainfield carbine from the 60's to have rack marks. They sold to a lot of police departments and prisons nationwide. Especially during and after the 60's riots and aftermath.

So many agencies nationwide used them trying to figure out which agency put the rack marks where they are on your carbine would be near impossible. Further complicating such a search is the time that has passed since then with so few remaining that still have the knowledge from each of the various agencies.

I've contacted a number of police departments, sheriffs departments, and State police agencies attempting to identify the agency markings they used. One example is AHP. The highway patrols in Alaska, Arkansas, Alabama, Arizona was my first guess. All four used carbines. The range staff at each didn't know what markings were used, if any. Several asked "old timers" who didn't remember. Had I pursued it further that H could be part of a city or township name.

Rack marks likely had a number of agencies putting them in the same places. Both sides of the stock is unique. I haven't seen that before but the variations given the number of agencies there are far more I haven't seen than I ever will.

All M1 carbines, GI and commercial, have been illegal in NJ for a number of years. I'd suggest trying a dozen or so agencies in the Plainfield area but depending on who you talk to you may get more questions than answers. I'm retired from a city police agency in California (they are still legal here as long as they don't have a folding, telescoping, or pistol stock). That was an "in" that got me past the nonsense wall. Retirees are the ones who might have that knowledge. Especially retirees who worked the ranges. If they were worked a police range in the late 60's or early 70's they are a dwindling resource.

Old newspapers have plenty of examples of police armed with carbines including various police agencies in NJ. Few photos have the detail that would show a rack mark.

The stories I've heard from employees and owners of the various commercial carbine manufacturers of the mid to late 60's and nationwide almost always have included what happened where they worked during the various riots. Those were times that made lasting memories of the events that happened.

I've also been in contact with police agencies in other countries who used GI and commercial U.S. carbines. The .30 cal. carbines made in the USA have been one of the most widely used police carbines/rifles throughout the world and are still in use with the police in a few countries. Most being agencies where the officer can choose what they carry.

One of them was an officer from the Philippines who contacted us a few years back. I've communicated with others still using them in rural areas of Thailand.

Go to a museum almost any where in Europe or Asia and most have them on display. Including Vietnam and the very large military gun museum in Beijing, China. I haven't been to these two. Just seen photos. The one in Beijing is very likely has the largest number of guns on display of any museum anywhere. But last I heard those tours are strictly "guided" with no time to look close. No fotos allowed.

Jim
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 2:22pm
Maybe part of Ollie Norths shipment to the Contras... :-)
Really no way to know, but keeps one wondering,
Like we do with so many other Carbines.
Enjoy it.

Thx for your hard work Jim

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 2:53pm
Charlie

I'm not a carbine "collector". My hobby is the research and investigating. I acquire to learn and get first hand experience then move them on to afford the next project. In addition to having my one shooter I really like, a lot.

I've been retired since 1997 but from what I saw 1977-1997 the .30 cal. carbines were the still the best choice for an urban or semi-urban policing environment. Especially when used with the modern day ammo like Hornadys "Critical Duty".

One of the cops I worked with and liked a lot was killed on duty by a guy with a Universal carbine. Distance was about 70 yards, hardball ammo. He took a grazing shot to the forehead then 1 round through his left side armpit that nicked his aorta. 1986 and we weren't allowed to carry anything but our sidearms and a 12 gauge. Slugs were not authorized but a number of us had them. Suspect committed suicide with the same carbine. Officer killed was a great guy with a lifetime history of service. Alter boy, police explorer, USMC, then police officer. I'm still surprised we didn't take more losses than we did. Lost far more to injuries over time.

During the L.A. riots of 1992 we were under the same restrictions. Though slugs were okay. A few supervisors started searching the police units as they were leaving the station looking for personal rifles. We had them stashed in a secure location nearby. I know of one incident when they were used. Not reported and not within the city limits. They came under fire in South Central while meeting with LAPD and a USMC unit from Camp Pendleton. The USMC unit was probably the only ones to report it.

Partner I went to Long Beach for a meet with LBPD and a USMC unit there. Driving down LB Blvd it looked like what it was the 2 nights prior, a war zone. With us armed with 1911's (our duty gun) and one shotgun (standard issue). I think not. I didn't own a .30 cal. carbine back then but would have been a good choice for those environments. Cramped police unit, distances mostly under 100 yards. Only drawback was ammo. 5.56 was in ample supply with it being the most common as well as the standard USMC issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply