The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member/owner with questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member/owner with questions
    Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 1:14pm
Hello everyone.  I've inherited a few guns recently, one of which is this M1 carbine that I'm looking to learn more about.  Can anyone here take a look and give me their thoughts on what they see?  Model? Date of manufacture? Any and all help is appreciated.  Thank you!
Paul

PJK
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 1:43pm
hmm looks to be a Plainfield "Enforcer" stock

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield03.html

but perhaps a Universal pistol based on the front ring. Any markings near or under the rear sight?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 1:46pm
Also looks very similar to the one pictured in the Iver Johnson link below, but the receiver ring on yours is marked similar to a Universal. Take it out of the stock and look for the manufactures markings. Commercial Carbine expert sleeplessnashadow will know for sure.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ijenforcer.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
pkocke View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 2:12pm
Thank you to those who have responded so far.  In my haste to make the post, I forgot to mention the serial number: EAA62836 that is located under the rear sight.  Nothing else.  At first I thought this was an F, but thanks to Wayne's link I believe it is the Iver Johnson Jacksonville, AR 1983-1986. When I get a chance to take it out of the stock I'll update everyone.  

PJK
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 9:37pm
Hi guys

I think a little background on "Iver Johnson" (hereinafter IJ) is needed to understand this one.

In 1977 Plainfield Machine in NJ was bought by Louis Imperato and left in place making carbines with the Plainfield Machine name. He had acquired IJ shortly prior. By 1978 he changed the name of Plainfield Machine to IJ. Initially there was no difference with the carbines other than the name change.

1982/83 a group of Arkansas investors bought the IJ NJ operation and moved everything to Jacksonville, AR. About the same time the Arkansas investors also bought Universal Firearms and left it in place in Hialeah, FL continuing to make carbines in the Universal Firearms name.

The AR investment group made no carbine receivers. Initially they used IJ NJ receivers acquired when they bought the company. They purchased a CNC machine and installed it in the Hialeah, FL facility for the specific purpose of making receivers. "Universal" in Hialeah was then running two receiver production lines. One using the old method they had used for years and one using the CNC machine.

The receivers being made by Universal during the time they were owned by the AR group were machined for their hybrid carbine design that was not compatible with any carbines other than the hybrids Universal made and sold. However, Universal simultaneously manufactured a number of their receivers and carbines to GI spec on special order by law enforcement agencies etc.

As IJ AR began running low on leftover receivers from IJ NJ they began using receivers they had Universal make to GI specs for the IJ carbines. The barrels and parts used on these receivers were IJ parts and also interchangeable with surplus GI parts. This happened from about 1984-1986. The Universal Firearms receivers IJ used for their carbines usually have IJ AR markings. The exception apparently being the first Universal receivers IJ AR used. Based on the serial numbers and markings I have kept track of.

In 1985 the AR group closed the Hialeah, FL facility and moved everything to the IJ facility in Jacksonville, AR. Late 1985 and into 1986 they assembled hybrid Universal carbines with the Universal Firearms name and Jacksonville, AR markings concurrent to their GI style IJ AR carbines with IJ markings. Parts compatible with both Universal's hybrid and IJ's GI style carbine were used on both without regard to who made them.

Which brings me to what you have....

What you have is an Iver Johnson Arkansas carbine with a Universal Firearms receiver. The serial number alone identifies it as an Iver Johnson Arms Enforcer pistol made in Jacksonville, AR.

The easiest way to ID a Universal Firearms receiver used by Iver Johnson is the absence of U.S. from "U.S. Carbine". Universal eliminated the letters U.S. in the 1960's. Unlike the cast receivers used by Plainfield Machine, IJ NJ, and IJ AR all of the receivers manufactured by Universal Firearms were machined from forged steel.

What I'm about to add would have further complicated understanding the above. I left it til now hoping it would make more sense.

IJ in New Jersey used the AA prefix on the serial numbers for their .30 cal. carbines, Model M1. Their Enforcers had the prefix BA (blued) or BS (Stainless). The receiver used on the IJ NJ Enforcer models was the same as used on the full size carbine models. The BA and BS was their way of identifying the receiver as intended for a pistol to avoid confusion with Federal and State laws having a minimum barrel length for rifles (carbines included).

IJ in NJ used the prefix EA on the serial numbers made for the carbines in 5.7mm Johnson caliber.

Serial numbers in NJ ran sequential within their prefix. Meaning there was an AA0001, a BA 0001, BS 0001, EA 0001, etc.

When the Arkansas group moved the operation to Jacksonville, AR they discontinued the use of the letter prefixes used by NJ. No more BA and didn't make stainless Enforcers so didn't use BS. The first Enforcers made in AR they used the AA prefix, continuing the number sequence where NJ left off. What this means is your receiver was initially s/n AA62836. Didn't take them long to find out receivers intended for pistols legally needed to be designated as such. They added the E to AA62836 for this purpose.

This means your IJ AR Enforcer s/n wasn't the 62,836 Enforcer or carbine made in AR. The lowest AR Enforcer s/n I have is EAA62746. Like yours, it has no IJ markings with a Universal Firearms receiver. s/n EAA62848 thru EAA63659 have a cast receiver with IJ NJ markings. AA prefix receivers left over from NJ used by AR. To which the E was added. Then things changed.

IJ AR renamed their Enforcer model the Super Enforcer. They lengthened the barrel, changed the stock design and started with s/n EF0001. All have cast receivers. Yours has the shorter barrel aused by IJ in NJ and Plainfield Machine prior. The stock was used by IJ in AR.

Exactly how many Enforcers like yours were made in AR is an unknown. They picked an AA serial numbered receiver off the assembly line and added the E. Comparing the Arkansas AA serial numbers and markings to yours, the presence of the Universal Firearms receiver, and info I have from a tool maker at Universal in Hialeah, FL during that time my estimate is your carbine was assembled in Jacksonville, AR in late 1984 or early 1985.

When new, your receiver was top quality milled from forged steel.

However, the condition of the parts that includes the rust indicates the carbine was not maintained to some degree. It's a used gun. It should be safety inspected before it is used. To include checking the chamber headspace and a close exam of the gas cylinder. If it checks okay and is cleaned up the Enforcer model pistols have become one of the few commercial carbines in high demand. Sometimes selling for as much as some of the GI carbines. Depends on condition, appearance, documents, accessories, etc.

Your "carbine" is legally a handgun in .30 cal. carbine. Not an M1 carbine.

Sorting this change of ownership along with the serial number and parts mess out has been no simple task. None of these companies left records of what they did when or serial number lists. It's been reconstructed by examining many of their carbines along with interviews of employees who were willing to share info. The Arkansas group has not shared any info. In 1986 they began a bankruptcy and lawsuits against one another that last many years. 1987-1991 or so Louis Imperato acquired and ran the AR operation for money he was still owed. He left IJ in AR. He wasn't able to pull them out of the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy with all the debts and claims he inherited with the company.

Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Edited by sleeplessnashadow - Sep 07 2019 at 10:16pm
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 10:04pm
A P.S. ...

Your metal handguard was the one used by IJ in New Jersey and Plainfield Machine prior. The one used by Universal Firearms has a different hole pattern.

The inlay in the right side of the rear of the stock is not something done by IJ. The first word appears to be Malaysian.

If you haven't removed the stock yet you'll need to do so to clean the carbine up. Hope the rust isn't on the inside. But point here being look for any markings on the barrel and/or receiver that are known as "import marks". A company name or initials along with a U.S. City/State. You may also find the Iver Johnson name on the left side of the receiver below the stock line but I don't think so as they added that well after yours was assembled.

The short barreled Enforcer model made by Plainfield Machine and IJ have been found in photos with U.S. troops in Vietnam. South Vietnam purchased them. Yours was obviously made after combat in Vietnam ended but other countries in SE Asia also bought them. The Malaysia uprisings ended prior to your Enforcer but U.S. carbines and commercial carbines were common in Malaysia. As well as many other countries in S/E Asia.

Jim
pkocke View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 3:41pm
WOW!  Thank you for that deep insight.  It was much appreciated.  

PJK
 Post Reply Post Reply