Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Receiver Tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Receiver Tools
    Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 9:02am
Hey Folks,

Quick question.... Has anyone used or have comments on either of the following Receiver Tools??

Top on is from Brownells and the bottom one is River Bank Armory.

Thanks.....

Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 9:16am
Have not used either, but I understand that both will work. Many references recommend the type that brownell's sells over the other style.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Have not used either, but I understand that both will work. Many references recommend the type that brownell's sells over the other style.

W5USMC,

I agree with you about the Brownell tool.  Even I can see that it would displace the torsional load better on a good receiver.

It's a little more expensive than what Riverbank Armory offers, but hey I'm worth the extra expense.  It's just that my Dear-Wifey will deduct the difference from my monthly beer allowance.  Oh well, such is life.

Thanks for the input...... and Brownell's it is.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 10:54am
Also highly recommend that you not use RB armory as a source for carbine parts. They are notorious for selling fake/reproduction parts as USGI. Google reviews and you will see what I am talking about.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 11:07am

Also highly recommend that you not use RB armory as a source for carbine parts. They are notorious for selling fake/reproduction parts as USGI. Google reviews and you will see what I am talking about.

+1 Thumbs Up

Dont feed George, He is not doing carbines any favors

Does the CMP still sell the wrench?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 11:15am

W5USMC,

Good advice...!  Recently I purchased a rear sight from him and when I received it I immediately returned it.  It was a mess... I could not turn the windage knob and the elevation ramp was fouled up.

I recently purchased a receiver, barrel, and bolt from Fulton Armory to rebuild my 1943 IBM M1 that had a bold failure which destroyed the receiver's bolt lugs.  These folks are great and their 'stuff' is excellent. I used all my IBM USGI parts with the Fulton parts and what a nice shooter I have now.

My barrel from the IBM receiver is in very good condition and eventually I'd like to find a USGI good receiver to marry with the barrel.

Until then I'll just happily shoot my USGI/Fulton mix-master.  And when I get a good USGI receiver for my USGI barrel I'll be able to return my M1 back to all USGI parts making it just a 'mixer'.

Thank you for your 'heads-up'....!

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 11:52am
New2Brass,

You are correct about Geo.... I kinda got that idea when I spoke with him over the phone.

Oh,,,, I really need to thank you once more for bailing me out with my Avatar.  (Not once, but twice!)

I'll check CMP about the wrench...

See ya....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 12:02pm
Are we taking about the giant, heavy barrel wrench from the CMP? If so I acquired one early on, but have never used it.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Are we taking about the giant, heavy barrel wrench from the CMP? If so I acquired one early on, but have never used it.

m1a1fan,

Yes that is the tool. I'm trying to contact CMP about one.  My need is not immediate 'cause I will need to locate and purchase a serviceable USGI receiver.  Wow, I did not know that receivers are made of 'unattainable rare gold type material'.  (My wife is gonna luuv this project.) 

It sounds like CMP has the 'mother' of all receiver wrenches.  This is good 'cause the little M1 carbine receiver does not like to be torsionally twisted like a rubber band.  That is what concerned me about the one from RiverBank.

Anyway, if you ever would like to sell your wrench or rent it out let me know.  As you know this tool is not used often by us M1 lovers.  Actually, like the barrel block I have which will mostly be used as a weight to keep my cleaning patches from blowing around.  But a boy is judged by his equipment, huh?

Thanks for the post....... Here is a photo of my IBM receiver bolt lug...

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 12:45am
I'll check and see if I can remember where I put it. It's the 3 in 1 tool for carbine, garand and 1903? Barrels. Can't seem to find it on the CMP site. Perhaps they stopped selling them?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

I'll check and see if I can remember where I put it. It's the 3 in 1 tool for carbine, garand and 1903? Barrels. Can't seem to find it on the CMP site. Perhaps they stopped selling them?

m1a1fan,

No worries,,, I'm in no rush.  You sure that the CMP tool will attach to the M1 Receiver for removal?  I already have a barrel block/holder to secure the barrel in a 'large' vice.

Thank you for taking the time to assist.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply