Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cowan's Auction 8/14 - M1 Carbine Prices Realized

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cowan's Auction 8/14 - M1 Carbine Prices Realized
    Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 9:14pm
Cowan's had an auction today that featured 19 M1 Carbines, and an M1 Carbine rack, prices for which may be of interest to this group. M1 Carbine prices were soft, in my opinion.

Here are the prices realized, including the buyer's premium:

Standard Products U.S. M1 Carbine $720
WWII U.S. National Postal Meter M1 Carbine $960
Quality H.M.C. U.S. M1 Carbine $840
U.S. M1 Carbine (Inland) $960
M1 Carbine (Underwood) $780
National Postal Meter U.S. M1 Carbine $840
Underwood U.S. M1 Carbine $780
Saginaw S.G. U.S. M1 Carbine $960
Underwood U.S. M1 Carbine $1,140
Underwood U.S. M1 Carbine $1,020
Inland U.S. M1 Carbine $780
National Postal Meter U.S. M1 Carbine $840
Underwood U.S. M1 Carbine $780
Bavarian Police-Marked Winchester U.S. M1 Carbine $1,020
Saginaw S'G' U.S. M1 Carbine $960
Winchester U.S. M1 Carbine $861
U.S. Rockola M1 Carbine $1,560 (Highest price realized for a Carbine in this auction)
Quality H.M.C. U.S. M1 Carbine $861
Underwood U.S. M1 Carbine $840

World War II Barracks Rack For M-1 Carbine $1,476

You can see everything at the following link if you type "Carbine" in the search field.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/auction/8142019-firearms-and-accoutrements-auction-12359/lots/?search=display

Your thoughts? Were bidders too busy watching the stock market on their phones today?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 9:44pm
Wow, I would say those prices are pretty low, maybe all the deep pocket bidders are bidding on the CMP 1911's on the CMP auction site. Regardless I hope this is a sign of things to come.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 10:16pm
I took a quick look at the carbines listed and it seemed like many had something that would explain the actual sale price. Either they were import marked or had replacement barrels, mixed parts (arsenal rebuild), post war parts, etc. Quite a few had a mix of parts that an arsenal rebuild would not explain, like Type 3 rear sight but still having a Type 1 barrel band. Otherwise I think they sold for what I would expect based on my purchasing experience.

I really liked the barracks rack, but not for $1,476.
JackP
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 10:36pm
I really liked the barracks rack, too. Seemed to be in very good condition. I used to see them fairly regularly back in the 80's and 90's, but it's been many years since I've seen one available at a gun show. Accessories like this are uniquely suited to a Carbine collector, so $1476 doesn't seem out of line to me, though it's certainly not a small sum.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 10:48pm
The Carbines still seemed on the cheaper side for auction offerings. Values weren't off, but for auctions it seems off.
Perhaps is the specific auction because Rock Island IPs went for 3500 (before fees I believe) each with many reproduction parts. A Kramer auction IP sold today at 2300 before 18% fees, though there was pitting on the receiver. That wouldn't have made the difference though.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 12:35am
Never understood why auctions are held during the week. Seems beneficial to bidders by thinning the herd before the auction starts. Sure, internet bidding makes it easier, but it's still a PITA to participate unless it is something really nice.

Cowan's had a couple nice ones and they sold accordingly, though I thought both would sell for more. The rest sold for what they are...shooters. Maybe under, but that's a bonus when acquiring a shooter. Probably a windfall for STB types looking for new restoration material.

The carbine rack is a head scratcher, but i guess bidders want what they want.

After an almost fruitless summer, finally, auction season is ramping up. As always, 100's available...plenty of shooters to be had reguardless of what the auction house thinks and a select few good ones.

@ten - Mark down that IP S/N sold in the upper Midwest today. I suspect it will be seen again, if you know what I mean.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 10:09am
That IP was offered on GB last year at no sale.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 10:37am
Saw one at a show not long ago. Bayo lug, type 3 rear sight. Import mark. Guy said he paid 2.5k+ for it and asked me what I thought of it.

Umm.....

If a complete mixmaster, I've always wondered what the IP name adds to value. $50 or a couple hundred bucks? Suppose it would be worth more if the barrel was original to the receiver.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 10:56am
One was said to be at last week's show for 2500 but I wasn't there long enough to see how it was equipped. Around 2500 has been the threshold for a while regardless of barrel. Three have sold in the last few months for 1700 to 19XX. The two at 1700 didn't last long. One with heavy refinish and import mark and one without import and older refinish that looked decent. Both appeared to have original barrels. Doubtful that we'll see another at that price for a while.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 11:16am
Century Arms has an IP for sale right now, rebuild, cracked stock, not sure if it's import marked. they are asking $2499.87 for it. Hate to admit it but if I had the extra cash on hand I would probably by it, just to finally add an IP to my collection of mixmasters, I tend to make bad (stupid) decisions when I want something bad enough.
https://www.centuryarms.com/ri2389ey-v.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply