The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Richmond RIR Gun Show (08/24-25/2019)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 5:36am
I'm terrible with names, can I get a first name roll call from this weekend's show?

Dave T., Larry, Justan, Bruce, Steve, Charles and me (Ted).

If I missed someone, please let me know.

Also, on Saturday, we had a picture taken. Who has it?

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 8:57am
If I'm not mistaken, I think it was taken with Dave's camera.  Dave? 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 1:01pm
For those of us who didn't get a chance to join this group, thank's for sharing with us.

Justan, Larry and Steve, welcome to the Collectors Club from New Mexico!

Now, just so I can get this straight, here's the group that was there.

Dave (Dave Tennent) Maryland

Larry (col. mosby) Virginia

Justan (Dirty30Carbine) Chester

Bruce (BER911) Central Virginia

Steve (gibby65) Richmond

Charles (Charles) Maryland

Ted (m1a1fan) Virginia

JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 1:18pm
I do have to admit that after reading this thread, I was a bit jealous and wondering why I stayed in Missouri after I retired instead of moving back to the east coast. Then I took one of my carbines to the range (aka my front yard) for a couple of hours of shooting and I quickly remembered why I stayed here. All is good, glad you all had a great time. I did go to a gun show on Sat in Doolittle Mo, got to see 2 carbine magazines and that was it.   
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 3:13pm
@w5usmc - I was surprised by how much interest there was. Think two new members joined during the outreach event. If only I had a private jet to gather up interested club members to attend a show. Would probably do it at a bigger show but it was a good test case. More than a few lessons learned with setup and (lack of preparation). BTW, I’m jealous. Without my shooting club, I would have to drive 50 miles to shoot a carbine. Going into my backyard to shoot, now there is a dream.

@jackp - you nailed the attendance list. Thanks.

If only we had a bullet train from coast to coast.

Picture coming....note: a professional photographer did not take the pic and I forgot to take a picture of the setup on Sunday. Maybe next time
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 10:11pm
I took a photo of the group there on Saturday using the phone of the fellow making the gun socks and on the phone of the fellow that had the engraved stock. I can’t remember their names
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 1:43am
Justan,

Thanks for taking the photos. Next time, we'll get you, Steve and Larry in the photo. For some reason, I'm thinking there was another Steve at the show who is a member, but it all happened so fast, I can't remember.

Left to right

Dave

Charles

Bruce

Me

The gun socks and bullets Dave makes can be seen on the left side of the table. He also owns the Standard Products carbine (front middle).

The carved stock carbine behind Dave's is the S'G' 3549164 presented to Charles' father. The article on it can be found here.

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 8:07am
I think that we can all agree that we had way more fun than we ever imagined. I had great fun showing off Charles intricately carved "Manila Philippines" carbine. Telling how as a bald faced boy he used to ride on the back of a domesticated Carabao and steer it by the horns and reach around to grab the tail and yank for more speed. There's one carved into the right side of the stock where the cartouche used to be.
Hope to see everyone again in November and hopefully we'll have more space to display more carbines.
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 8:26am
Dave T’s outreach skillset served the club well. Standing in front of the table doing outreach. Great stuff. I did not get a picture of the Sunday display but will try to recreate it as best I can. I’m already working to get a bigger boat for the next show. Fingers crossed. Lots of great ideas came from our proof of concept. Looking forward to the next iteration. Might try something in Hampton but not sure if there is enough time.

Had a great conversation at RIR with two BB gun collectors after they rushed up to the table to take a look at one that was displayed.

I knew Charles was coming but did not know he would bring the carbine with him. Thanks to him and everyone else.

Also thanks for the cherry wood samples even though all of my guesses were wrong. There is always room to learn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12