The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avatar
    Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 11:30am
Where can I go in "Help" to find the method to upload an Avatar and Photos.  The Avatar I want to upload is 25KB, but when I try to upload it I get an error 'your file is 52KB". 

It just can't be this hard...... I have not tried to post a photo yet.

Sorry, I'm an FNG....

Mike
Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 11:48am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pictures-tips-sizing-and-posting-avatars_topic1083.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/picture-editing-on-pc-with-paint_topic2820.html

W5USMC,

Thanks for the info.  Being new to this site I'm on the vertical learning curve navigating around it.

I have figured out posting a photo.  Once I found my file manager on this site posting a photo is a piece of cake,,, well being a MAC man converted from MicroSoft years ago,, maybe a little dance with lots of steps.

Anyway, I still do not understand why my user control panel is not happy with my <40KB avatar.  Oh well I'll keep trying.

I should add that this is a nice site.  I've been on 'GunHub' for a while now, which I like, but having a 1943 IBM carbine it is nice to be on a real 'carbine' site.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply with suggestions.  By the way, I had already found your recommendations.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 6:58pm
Check your avatar now.
Is that what you wanted?
An Avatar must be resized to about 63x63 pixels. anything too big the software wont recognize it or takes too long to load/creates error.

Enjoy!Big smile
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 8:54am
New2brass,

You did it and it's just what I wanted.  I understand your explanation and thanks for taking the time to mess with my issue.  Actually having or not having an avatar is not a large issue for me.  It was just my hard headiness in not being able to figure it out.  

Also, I read the post about keeping photos a reasonable size due to storage issues.  I'll be sure to follow that request.  

Again, thank you and I'm sure that I'll enjoy this forum.  I'm certain it has a huge knowledge pool from which to draw from.

Mike
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by BetsyMePoocho BetsyMePoocho wrote:

New2brass,

You did it and it's just what I wanted.  I understand your explanation and thanks for taking the time to mess with my issue.  Actually having or not having an avatar is not a large issue for me.  It was just my hard headiness in not being able to figure it out.  

Also, I read the post about keeping photos a reasonable size due to storage issues.  I'll be sure to follow that request.  

Again, thank you and I'm sure that I'll enjoy this forum.  I'm certain it has a huge knowledge pool from which to draw from.

Mike

New2brass,

You are going to kick my butt.... I screwed up your effort getting my avatar up and running.  I went to my photo library and deleted the one you used for me.  I didn't know that it would remove the avatar.

My bad...... There is another one in my photo library... can I humbly ask you to work your magic once more.... promise that I will not play 'Samari File Manager' again.

Sorry to be a pain..... !
Mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 10:12am
No biggie! The file cabinet holds quite a bit of pictures, so no reason to delete photos. 
The photo resize is more about the forum capability than storage.
If you size a picture to 800 pixels wide the size of the file in most cases will meet the forum software threshold and display fine.
Anything bigger than 999 pixels that is under the file size requirements just jets sized down.

I would say composition of the subject with appropriate cropping far out weighs file size.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 10:26am
New2brass,

WOW,,, thanks again and I promise to not pester you....!

If I use a photo in one of my posts it will either be a 320x240 or 640x480.  These two sizes seem to work well in most forums and are cerdinally have enough definition for e-mails.

Durn, once again I humbly thank you..!

See ya... bye
Mike

Post Reply Post Reply