The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Report, "New" M-1 Carbine rebuilt by Fulton

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Report, "New" M-1 Carbine rebuilt by Fulton
    Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 7:26pm

Ok, here's the scope. I've owned assorted M-1 Carbines over the decades, including a "Blue Sky" marked Inland 1944 production. After buying one of Fulton's new production Carbines last fall I decided to have them do some work on "Blue"

"Blue" before, typical import marked M-1. Decent shooter but not something I would trust in a SHTF situation.

After. I had FA install a new production Criterion chrome lined match grade barrel. Chrome lining is a upgrade over original USGI barrels for those who didn't know, it'll give me longer barrel life

I also had them install new USGI sights, new springs and they recommended a new extractor and new slide to replace worn ones. Also had them refinish it and the stock is one I had here on another rifle

Don't ask what it cost, it wasn't cheap

Got it back this week and ran 150 rounds through it at a local indoor 25 yard range today.

1st 25 rounds trying to get a "combat zero" (I'm aiming 10 ring wanting my bullet hits to go 3 inches high). Windage looks ok but I need to adjust elevation. As I do I notice the sight drifting left.

2nd 25 rounds. I'm getting there but still have some trouble with the sight drifting. I also have my 1st FTF but figure it's mag related. As most Carbine owners know, mags can work fine on 1 Carbine and not on a 2nd (they are 75 years old in some cases).

I switched mags and ran another 50 rounds benched rest and kept having the sight drift issue. That's always been a issue with the design, I'll Loctite it when I get a decent 100 yard zero down the road, my normal outdoor range reopens after Labor Day (Spring Valley in the Cincinnati OH area).

Last 50 rounds shooting standing up. At this point I'm checking the mag I used for the 2nd 50 rounds, it ran 100 rounds without problems and ran this 50 fully loaded.

I think I gotta keeper. I get some mags sorted out for it (I've 20 assorted USGI and Korean made mags here, as most Carbine owners know they can be picky) and get the final zero I would trust this rifle with my life

BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 11:58am
DonFlynn,

Nice post on your refirb'ed carbine and it looks great.  You sound pleased with the endeavor.

Recently while shooting the IBM that my dad used in Korea I had a bolt/receiver failure.  Wiped out the bolt and the bolt lugs on the receiver.  I can only speculate on causal.

Anyway, I contacted Clint jr. at Fulton in March this year. I arranged for one of their receivers matched to a new barrel.  I wanted the new barrel, receiver, and head spaced bolt ready to install in my remaining USGI parts.  

After a lengthy wait I received the assembled receiver, etc. from them.  I quickly mated all my USGI parts and went to the range to shoot it and sight it in.

I ran right at 100 rounds through it and am pleased to say 'no issues'.  Actually it shoots better, smoother than it ever did.  

I am very pleased with Clint jr. and Fulton in general.  The items I received are excellent, but like you said kinda $$$, but life is short and we are worth it.  (That's what I tell my wife.)

Like you, I can now trust this old carbine.  And if I can find a serviceable USGI receiver I can mate it with my USGI barrel and make my carbine back to all USGI....  (maybe)

Have fun and enjoy....

Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by BetsyMePoocho BetsyMePoocho wrote:

DonFlynn,

Nice post on your refirb'ed carbine and it looks great.  You sound pleased with the endeavor.

Recently while shooting the IBM that my dad used in Korea I had a bolt/receiver failure.  Wiped out the bolt and the bolt lugs on the receiver.  I can only speculate on causal.

Anyway, I contacted Clint jr. at Fulton in March this year. I arranged for one of their receivers matched to a new barrel.  I wanted the new barrel, receiver, and head spaced bolt ready to install in my remaining USGI parts.  

After a lengthy wait I received the assembled receiver, etc. from them.  I quickly mated all my USGI parts and went to the range to shoot it and sight it in.

I ran right at 100 rounds through it and am pleased to say 'no issues'.  Actually it shoots better, smoother than it ever did.  

I am very pleased with Clint jr. and Fulton in general.  The items I received are excellent, but like you said kinda $$$, but life is short and we are worth it.  (That's what I tell my wife.)

Like you, I can now trust this old carbine.  And if I can find a serviceable USGI receiver I can mate it with my USGI barrel and make my carbine back to all USGI....  (maybe)

Have fun and enjoy....

That's a nice looking rifle there for sure.

I'm having Fulton give my CMP bought 1943 Inland the once over now. It shouldn't need more than new springs and a new rear sight but I figure peace of mind is worth a few bucks.

After that I'll have them do my "Howa" made Carbine with a 44 Inland barrel, check it over. That should give me 4 reliable Carbines, 3 "shooters" counting my FA made one and I'll safe queen the CMP Inland for future generations  
BetsyMePoocho View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetsyMePoocho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 12:12pm
DonFlynn,

Big 'thanks' for the nice complement on my old Dad's M1 carbine.  I was so upset when I had the bolt/receiver failure, but with the help of Fulton Armory I'm back in business with a very nice 'shooter'.  I can also match a USGI receiver to my old Underwood barrel and restore the rifle to USGI one day.

Your 'plan' sounds very good.  I'm sure that you will be pleased with the work preformed again by Fulton. I wish I had several of these historical carbines like some of you folks.  Maybe someday I'll stumble on a good deal and can add one.

Anyway, I just want to give you a 'head-up'....  During the repair from my failure I found that my 'Ops Rod' spring was shorter than what the M1 manual calls out.  My old spring's free-length measured 10.0" and the manual call out 10.28".

So, I added a Chrome Silicon spring that Fulton Armory offers to my order.  I measured their spring when I received it and found it to be 9.625" not the 10.28" spec the manual calls out.  I called Clint at Fulton and he had his Armorer/Shop Manager Rick Hall talk to me.  He explained that the chrome silicon spring coil diameter is larger that the USGI spring.  Which necessitates a shorter free-length.  This spring will preform equally if not slightly better than the original spring for a longer time.  After going on 400 rounds I can say I very happy with it.  Mr. Hall was happy to discuss this with me and other 'good stuff'.

I just wanted to let you know in case you are using one these springs and decide to check it's 'free-length'. Oh, should you talk to Clint jr agin by phone, please tell him that Mike from Palm Bay, Florida says 'Hey' and is happy. 

Again, thank for the complement.....And enjoy your Carbines...!

Mike

Everyday I Strive To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am......
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2019 at 1:40pm
Another update. Another 150 rounds testing mags. 3 mags ran fine and it ran like a top, 1 mag didn't feed.....I marked it and will work on it and see what happans
 Post Reply Post Reply