Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Honest? Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honest? Inland
    Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 6:55pm
Hello; Just acquired an INLAND M1 Carbine S/N 5047XXX and Barrel dated 2-44.

I picked this up from a family that had no interest in it. Even their grandfather, the owner, never cared for or messed with the carbine he apparently "Brought Back". Other than a couple Wisconsin Deer hunting trips in the early 1990s, this apparently remained in the back of a closet.

It was very dry and dirty and had obviously not been apart for many years. I was the first one in there, perhaps ever (I hope) since the war. When disassembling, I dripped oil around the barrel band and rubbed grease in good. Despite this, I made new scratches, shined up the "P" proof mark, and put a nearly pea-sized rub down to the steel when sliding the band forward... aarrggh!

Going through the amazing parts list on USCARBINECAL30M1 I was pleased to see virtually all the parts were a spot-on match. Although the "Virtually" is where my concern lies.

1.) This rifle has an Inland bolt... but a Flat one instead of "Round"

2.) The Flip sight has an "S" on the left side.

3.) There is an "H" stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip.

My gut feeling told me to jump on this, so I did.

Any insight would be welcome. If any other pics are required just ask.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 7:41pm
Most of the basics look like they are there, but I would need a handful more pictures to confirm some things. BTW, the stock is the only thing I'd seriously question.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 8:02pm
Any barrel band markings, marking in sling well? The parts list on the site you mentioned should not be considered "gospel" it mirrors Riesch's book which has many mistakes when talking about parts and serial # ranges.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the first thoughts.

The barrel band has a Triangle on the left side with a line and a circle with a tail symbol.

The sling well has an OI stamped in it. No Flaming Bomb like my RIA Rebuild Inland.

The larger circle in the stock cartouche measures .65" in diameter.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 10:49pm
From what you posted so far all looks good to me. I have 5040XXX and it has an O.I. 1 flat bolt, with an '11' stamped in the right lug. N-A flip sight marked very lightly on the right.
That looks like a really nice rifle you scored.
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2019 at 8:46am
Very nice looking carbine.  The logo on type II barrel band is American Swiss it's an A with an s inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply