Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:42pm
No the rear sight is faintly stamped I.R. 60(?) with 1160¥0 underneath. That symbol is intended to be a check mark. The front sling swivel appears to have AW00(?). There appears to be lettering stamped in the receiver in front of the 408140 serial number but can’t read without removing the rear sight and I really hesitate to remove it. 
Lawrencemr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 12:57pm
With regard to the lettering inside the well, it seems to me that the #1 is stamped above 3 letters. The middle letter may be a “B” but not positive. It also looks like an x at the very bottom. I can see with a glass that the only name under the sight is Inland  Nothing above and no re strike so I’m guessing that it was always an Inland.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Lawrencemr Lawrencemr wrote:

No the rear sight is faintly stamped I.R. 60(?) with 1160¥0 underneath. That symbol is intended to be a check mark. The front sling swivel appears to have AW00(?). There appears to be lettering stamped in the receiver in front of the 408140 serial number but can’t read without removing the rear sight and I really hesitate to remove it. 

Your rear sight is most likely marked I.R.C.O. w/7160060 underneath.
Could your front barrel band be marked AMCO, your actual swivel would not be marked.

The lettering in front of the serial# under the rear sight will read INLAND DIV. I recommend that you do not remove the rear sight.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 1:31pm
You are correct on the markings. Very faint. Someone had indicated that it might have been manufactured by another manufacturer and that name would have been stamped above Inland and then later struck through by Inland and that was what was what I was looking for. The markings are on the barrel band. Mike
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 1:38pm
I'm sorry Mike. Your sling well is like a Rorschach test to me. Yeah, if I look at it long enough I can see the "RMC" but it's more from your suggestion than from what is actually there. It might show up better if some of the "patina" were able to be removed. Your call.

The rear sight markings are "I.R. CO" for International Register Co. The number should read "7160060" which is the Ordnance part number of the stamped rear sight.

I'm not sure about the letters on the sling swivel. Normally they are not marked. Are there markings in front of the swivel on the barrel band itself that look like "AMCO"?
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 1:52pm
Sorry Wayne. You beat me to it.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawrencemr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 2:04pm
I think that it is AMCO. Do the component parts give any clues to its spring tube heritage?

I’m might take a little Murphy’s and lightly clean the well area and see if the lettering becomes clearer. 
Mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2019 at 2:08pm
It appears that your receiver is made by Inland based on the serial number. There was an issue drilling the deep hole in the receiver for the recoil spring. The drill bit would wander and break out the bottom or side of the receiver.
The receivers were salvaged by converting them to utilize a springtube.
Your sirial number in within the know range of Inlands that were converted.

it is estimated that there are 6000 inland spring tube receivers, 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12