Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X stamped on receiver-trigger group lug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juggernaut09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X stamped on receiver-trigger group lug
    Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 10:56pm
Apart from the hieroglyphics on the barrel flat, I think I've deciphered every mark on my Inland except this one:

Can anyone tell me what this X stamped on the receiver / trigger group lug is?

I've heard an X was sometimes used if a part had to be re-inspected for whatever reason by an ordnance inspector, but that seems to apply mainly to bolts. Also of course the X was stamped on serials if a manufacturer accidentally used the wrong SN. I can't find any reference to the stamp on a receiver though.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 9:56am
I think it is just a random letter used during the manufacturing/assembly process, on my two Inlands one has a W, the other has a J on the receiver TH Lug.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Juggernaut09 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juggernaut09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 12:08pm
Interesting. Thanks Wayne. Wonder if it denotes a shift, company inspector, or similar. Doubt it's initials unless they had an inspector named Xavier. The W would really have thrown me off, I'd be wondering how I get a Winchester Inland receiver! lol
 Post Reply Post Reply