Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trigger housing retaining pin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reconmarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trigger housing retaining pin
    Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 3:11pm
I own an early commercial .30 cal carbine made by Universal. Serial number 15xxx. a gift from my mother when I was in high school so it has a great deal of sentimental value.  I have less than 200 rds through it.  I need to remove the trigger housing so that I can remove the bolt for cleaning.  The trigger housing retaining pin is not solid, i.e. I can see through it.  It looks more like a small bushing.  This housing was a redesigned part, i.e. aluminum.  How do I remove the hollow pin so that I can disconnect the trigger housing assembly?  I don't want to bang on it much as the housing already has a small vertical crack behind the trigger guard. A like kind trigger housing replacement is next to impossible to find.  Any help would be appreciated.
W. Hill
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 3:24pm
Sounds like it's a roll pin/tension pin. Use a roll pin punch, sets at Harbor Freight are less than $25 if that.

Use a block of wood or something similar to support the side opposite you are striking the roll pin from.

FYI, s/n's in the 15k range should be compatible with a GI trigger housing. Any GI trigger housing. The parts of the Universal Trigger Housing Group may or may not be compatible with a GI trigger housing. Some may be surplus GI.

Pics would help to isolate what you have and how to get it apart without damage.

If it's a roll pin I recommend replacing it with a solid pin. Roll pins hold tight but are not conducive to repeated removal and replacement.

Jim
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 5:31pm
You can use a punch or “something” the same size as the pin-hole, but like Jim said, support the back side as you remove it. It’s likely one of the very early cast GI style ones and they are extremely flimsy. I would certainly replace the roll-pin with a GI pin. A 15xxx is where they seriously began to introduce commercial cast parts and those trigger housings really sucked. Everything in that gun will interchange with USGI parts. It is one of the “good” Universals.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 6:58pm
I have 0 experience with commercial carbines but was wondering if the clearance of the trigger housing when mounted in the stock is sufficient to hold a solid pin sufficiently in place or is that why they used roll-pins? Just asking.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 7:50pm
Yes, the interior wall of the stock should keep a standard TH pin from coming out.   
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2019 at 8:36pm
GI TH pin should be fine. You just have to be careful and may have to dress the hole a bit if it’s a tight fit to install the GI pin. I have a 17xxx and replaced the TH with a Type IV. Any GI housing should work if you elect to change it. The Universal stock requires the use of the longer Universal trigger pin as the opening in the stock is a bit sloppy, but the TH housing pin will work. 
reconmarine View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reconmarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 4:27pm
Thanks much for the prompt reply.  Yes, it's a roll pin now that I find images of what one looks like.  The Universal manual of operation and care states, "if pin sticks, use operating spring guide as a punch".  Yeah, right.  I'm not going to do that.  By the way the stock has an inked date of August 6 1963.  I will defn. procure a GI TH pin and housing.  I was under the impression that the Universal stocks would not accommodate a GI TH.  Thanks again.
W. Hill
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 6:10pm
Like most all the commercial manufacturers early on, Universal used all the GI parts they could find. The first TH’s they produced were very close to GI spec., but poorly cast in aluminum, which is likely what you have. My 17xxx trigger group was 100% USGI except for the housing. I just gutted it after it cracked an installed a GI housing. I have seen early Universals offered that had GI barrels on them. When they went to the box housing, they had to cut the stocks to fit the housing. The early stocks are a bit sloppy and you may have to use the longer trigger-pin for the stock to retain it but everything else is compatible. I put a post-war SA potbelly stock on mine. The only thing Universal on the gun is the barrel and receiver. It has been a great shooter and just as accurate as any GI carbine I have owned. Fix that TH and you should have a gun that will last a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply