Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1943 S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1943 S'G'
    Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 11:16am
Yesterday, I joined and mentioned my personal carbine, which is Saginaw S'G' #3627823. Today, I would like to do a thread on it. My carbine, as you can gather, is an S'G' with a 11/43 Inland barrel and interestingly a nice all original QHMC trigger group which in addition contains an Irwin Pedersen sear. It does have a Type 1 barrel band, with a repop screw and a KV-B swivel (I added both as the weapon did not have them originally. If anyone has a KV-S'G' swivel and an original screw, I am interested!). The weapon has had a T1 band all its life, which I like personally as I honestly feel having a bayonet on a carbine is kind of silly. It does have a replacement rear sight however, which in my case is a milled adjustable sight. It did not have a rear sight yet was obviously staked for an adjustable one, so I put one I had in similar shape as to the rest of the weapon on and called it good. The stock is an SA potbelly that I added wartime metal to (it had none to begin with), although I do have a couple of spare stocks (I.R. Co. low wood and an OI high wood). That's really all I have to say on it. Maybe at a later date I will tear it down bit by bit and photograph everything. I do have a list of parts markings I will post in addition to this thread as well. My rifle is unfortunately import marked on the barrel by Oyster Bay Industries, which to my understanding is a weapon that came from China, whom in turn got them from North Korea. I do not know if this is true or not, but if it's on the main website then its good enough for me. In spite of it though, I still really like it and it shoots great too. I do have a large quantity of GI magazines (23 15 rounders and 3 GI 30 rounders) and slings and mag pouches in addition to spare stocks, metal, and internal parts. I guess if you wanted you could either call me prepared, or call the carbine spoiled, or both! Haha

How about some pictures folks?

Here is the parts list for my rifle:

Receiver: Type 2

Rear Sight: T2 HI (Hemphill Mfg. for Inland?)

Bolt: T2 SG (Saginaw Steering Gear (Saginaw))

Extractor: T2 SG (Saginaw Steering Gear (Saginaw))

Firing pin: T3 R.I. (Reece Button Hole Machine Co. for Inland)

Slide: S'G' in slide well (Steering Gear Grand Rapids)

Barrel: 11-43 Inland Div. 

front sight: N (no idea)

Barrel Band: T1A unmarked (Saginaw S’G’, three spot welds)

Swivel: T1 KV-B (Kapp & Vogt (?) for IBM)

Screw: reproduction 

Gas piston nut: unmarked

Gas piston: unmarked

Gas Cylinder: BI ( Brown-Lipe-Chapin (?) for Inland)

Trigger Group Housing: T3 Q-NL (National Lock for Quality Hardware)

Hammer: T2 LT-Q (Ludlow Typograph for Quality Hardware)

Sear: SW-IP (Star Watch Case Co. for Irwin Pedersen)

Trigger: late, LT-Q (Ludlow Typograph for Quality Hardware)

Safety: T3, Q-NL (National Lock for Quality Hardware)

Magazine catch: T3 LT-Q (Ludlow Typograph Quality Hardware)

Stock: T5 SA? (IF there is a faint SA, then Springfield Armory M2 stock)

Handguard: 2 rivet RSG (Robert Irwin Co. for Saginaw SG)

Recoil plate: T2 D.I. (Dayton Mold Co. for Inland)

Recoil plate screw nut: early style, unmarked. 

Butt plate: Type I (Inland)

Screws: unmarked
Barrel Band Spring: Unmarked, not cast.

Oiler: IS (International Silver)

Sling: D-Tip, MRT 8-63 stamped on tabs

SN: 3,627,823

Manufacturer date: 10/43-11/43?

Import markings: Oyster Bay Industries, NY. (early '80s import from China, obtained from North Korea)

Other notes: All springs have been replaced with NOS USGI ones, I do have the original springs in a box with my spare parts.

Edited by 1989LX - Jul 30 2019 at 4:36pm
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 12:27pm
nice looking carbine.

Where is the OBI marking? any pics?
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

nice looking carbine.

Where is the OBI marking? any pics?

Thank you! Its on the barrel forward of the gas cylinder. It is obscuring a P mark. I'll take a photo of it as soon as I can.
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 1:57pm
Sorry for bumping my own post, but I broke down my carbine somewhat today and took some photos. I have them in a Google Photos album that will be updated if I want to do something like break down the bolt or break down the trigger group the rest of the way. Hope the link works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kLXta4sjKMZWERaNA
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 6:33pm
Nice looking carbine. Was wondering if there is a number stamped on the left side of front sight. Thanks for sharing.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2019 at 7:16pm
Nice. Can't have to many.
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

Nice looking carbine. Was wondering if there is a number stamped on the left side of front sight. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you and you're welcome! Upon closer inspection there does not appear to be one.
 Post Reply Post Reply