Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trigger housing broke on my iver johnson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trigger housing broke on my iver johnson
    Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 5:41pm
out doing some shooting today and at the bottom of the mag catch the metal broke off making the mag catch fall off.   its the original trigger housing and made of some ,what seems to me light weight metal.   so my big question is can I replace this with a usgi trigger housing?   I have a 1943 inland and I pulled the trigger housing off it .   its the identical shape minus some extra machining of metal on the sides, and the rear ears that fit in the back slot are a bit thicker.    not much that a bit of slow filing and fitting wouldn't fix.   is this acceptable?   has anyone had to replace this housing on their iver Johnson? seems like it was made of an aluminum alloy.     the carbine guide said that usgi parts would interchange 
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as at this point im holding a usless weapon.
    thanks    peter
PK
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 6:24pm
PK,
Not sure if it will help but page down on the below link to the trigger housings.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ij05.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 6:27pm
My IJ housing is cast steel. Yes, I have a GI housing in mine now because the tolerances are tighter. The mag-catch and safety fit much better in the GI housing than the stock IJ. Internals are 100% interchangeable.

If it was the early aluminum housing. The trigger and hammer pins may need to be replaced with GI pins. If they are just longer, the IJ stock should be cut to accept the longer pins. I am not sure if they were the same diameter? I have a gen-1 Universal that must use the Universal longer pins if the action is in the Universal stock. It kinda boils down to the TH opening in the stock. GI pins are too short and could walk-out of the housing.
51dodge View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 8:25pm
that was the first place I went to... appreciate it!!! thanks
peter
PK
51dodge View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 8:28pm
just purchased an inland striped trigger housing and all new pins and springs.   ill redo everything while im in there.   ill keep you posted on the upgrade.
   thanks
peter
PK
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2019 at 11:22am
Seems it's more common to see the trigger guard break from an impact.
51dodge View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2019 at 1:04pm
im thinking the same thing.   I just got it back the day before I shot it.    a friend borrowed it to shoot some hogs.     I spoke to him today about the broken pieces.   he cant recall dropping or bumping it on anything.    not a problem    ive ordered the parts and when im done it will be better then new.  
peter  
PK
51dodge View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 4:39pm
got a nos inland trigger housing, all new spring set, nos hammer release, all new pins.   put it all together on my bench after watching a few youtube videos on how to do it.   after a very small bit of fitting it slipped right in.   first problem was that it wouldn't feed properly,   second problem after I fired a couple rounds the firing pin stopped working.   I have a bolt disassembly tool which works like a charm.   found pieces of primer in the bolt.   on further inspection I found the bottom of the bolt bent out of round and the firing pin hole seemed over sized .    I took the flat bolt out of my inland, installed it and fired a few rounds.   it fed perfect with a nice little dimple on the primer.   so I ordered another complete bolt.   im going to have the head space checked by my gunsmith when it comes in.  im thinking that a over loaded round had to of caused these problems.  some one correct me if im wrong.  I don't use anything except store bought factory loads. PPU, Sellier&Bellot, Aquila and Monarch.   ive never had a problem until I lent it out    never again!!!!  
PK
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2019 at 5:56pm
Pictures may be interesting. It would take a lot of force to bend about anything on a bolt, even a commercial one I would think. For a bolt to get damaged under firing, I’d suspect frame damage. You sure this guy didn’t let it fall off his tail-gate and get ran over by an 18-wheeler?
 Post Reply Post Reply