Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel ID Assistance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

I don't see a chip missing at left lug locking shoulder, when comparing to other recievers I have on complete guns. The top of the shoulder where the left lug comes to rest out of battery I guess its called is a bit shiny from lack of finish which does show up in pictures pretty prominetaly. I will deffinately being going over it for burrs etc. Thanks for looking out @GotSnlB28.

Ok, hopefully that dark triange with sharp edges is just something in the picture... but the edges are sharp enough that it had me concerned. To illustrate, here is what I saw and the same spot on a rifle I had handy.
https://imgur.com/a/nzSCvbY

Yep I see in the picture what you are seeing. That darker looking triangle spot is where the finish is still intact not chipped/broken but does look that way in picture and if I rotate a certain way in the light I can make it look that way in person. Thanks

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 4:07pm
Couple things.

The re-finish/polishing that doesn't go all the way past the stock line has been common with carbines that the owner wanted a finish shiny. They sometimes did it themselves or paid others to do it for them. Was done more in the 60's here in the USA but sometimes done by someone in the country the carbine was imported from. Some countries didn't mind individuals a carbine was assigned to having/doing "custom" work.

Sometimes they buffed down the GI markings. Obviously wear can wear down markings. Then there are places that take commercial barrels and put "replica" GI markings on them and sell them as authentic (ala Riverbottom Armory).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrel Inserts

This has been an acceptable and even standard practice in barrel manufacturing. Some of the first prototype .30 carbine barrels made by Inland and Winchester were made this way. Carbine barrels made by Green Mountain Barrel Company and used by modern Day Auto Ordnance and Inland Mfg Redux are another variation.

There are gunsmiths in Canada who lengthen barrels so a carbine complies with Canadian law requiring a minimum barrel length of 470mm (18.5039").

Suggestions for identifying a 1903A3 barrel used inside a .30 caliber carbine barrel (without trying to dismantle the barrel), not always or never as there are different ways it can be done:

• GI markings on the gas piston housing and/or rear half of the barrel, with the manufacturer marking missing on the front half of the barrel.

• a barrel with two or six lands and grooves instead of four but may have four

• occasionally the barrel length is longer than M1 Carbine barrel's 18"

• the turned down (smaller diameter) at the muzzle end of the barrel that accommodates the front sight is longer/shorter than 1.6"

• The milled key slot that prevents rotation of the mounted front sight is too far forward, too far to the rear, or noticeably longer than the length of the front sight

• no barrel skirt inside the breach (some have the skirts, some don't)

• a pin through the side of the swaged gas piston housing (may or may not be present)

• examine the breach for one barrel inside the other (see pic below)

Example below is only one way, keep in mind there are are variations with most not usually having a pin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request ....

If you wouldn't mind we need a clear and pic better than the one we have that shows the SAMCO import marking.   

We have a page where we try to show the markings and add any info we have as to dates, quantities, and where they were imported from. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html

Thanks much

Jim
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 7:42pm
Here is a better pic of SAMCO import stamp. I suspect the buffing was done by SAMCO or perhaps Century Arms to remove surface rust. I purchased the S'G' from a Florida resident, that purchased the carbine directly from Century Arms shortly after they aquired SAMCO, via bankruptcy auction. I have a copy of the SAMCO inventory from the time of auction. This S'G' is in the list and was one of the B/R's you can see on the pallet in one of the auction pictures I posted. SAMCO purchased/imported it on May 14 1986, along with most of the carbines left in inventory at the time. There were a total of 249 M1 Carbines listed in the inventory, most being B/R's.

I cringe to think what SAMCO was doing with these; carbines in the distance waiting there turn. Cry

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:27pm
Received response from Century Arms today. So it was, one of the many carbine barreled receivers seen in the SAMCO auction photos that were just below the pallet of complete carbines they had left. Thought I would share the information.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:31pm
That's good stuff, I am glad to see that they responded.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 2:36pm
Serial number 3552886 is also on the list I posted here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/topic4205_post29777.html#29777

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2019 at 2:45pm
That is funny David; I just replied to the other thread you started on SAMCO.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123