Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deceit or Creative Writing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deceit or Creative Writing?
    Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 1:03pm
Last Sept. I noticed that a notorious carbine seller from Alabama purchased an IBM receiver on GB from another seller. I made note of the serial# just to see how long it took him to put together a complete carbine to sell, the carbine is now listed on GB so it took him about 10 months to go from receiver to complete carbine. When he purchased the receiver it did have deep stake marks at the dove tail, in his description now he claims no "scars" Below is his complete description, as always, he is well versed in his wording as far a what to say and what not to say. He sure does find a lot of high wood stocks, flips and Type I bands, Hmmm. Also seems that he has a following of repeat buyers that are either uneducated or don't care.

"Up for bid is a USGI WW2 M! Carbine. It was produced by "International Business Machines" (IBM) and is serial number 3,773,667, and is in excellent condition. No rust or pitting. The barrel is coded with the "IBM Corp" on the top front and has no bayonet lug scar on the top. There is NO IMPORT stamp or mark. The inside of the barrel is clean and clear and the riflings are good. NO corrosion. The front sight is the type 1 (milled) and has the "N" on the top. The front barrel band is the type 1A and is coded with the three weld marks on the top. The rear sight is the type 1 (flip) and is coded on the right side with the "IN B". There are No adjustable type 2-3 scars around the sight. The recoil plate and buttplate are "IBM. The safety is the early push type and "IBM" coded on the right side and the Magazine Catch is the type 2A and "IBM" coded. All inside metal parts are "IBM" coded. That includes the trigger housing, hammer, sear, trigger, operating slide, bolt, firing pin and extractor. The stock is the type 2 (Highwood and oval-cut) and is coded with the small "IBM" crossed cannons on the right side and the "LW B" in the slingwell. No splits or cracks, No M2-cut and No arsenal rebuild or repairs. A few small nicks and dings as most objects and people have when they reach 75+ yrs old. It has had a coat of varnish along its journey. It is a very collectible and functional WW2 M1 Carbine."
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 4:15pm
Based on your initial description, it falls into the "deceit" category. The seller's description also implies that it has lived its life as it is now, and has not been through an arsenal rebuild, without mention of being put together in 2019.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 4:36pm
Great internet sleuthing USMC you win the CC good catch award. Without naming any names, I know exactly who you're talking about. Every one of his carbines have the same color/patina, the wood is in like-new condition as are the cartouches. All of these carbines should be labeled "Restored". The first lesson to learn when collecting carbines is "buyer beware". I learned it in 2012.
Dave
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 6:45pm
Does picture 11 show some evidence of welding over the type 2/3 stake marks? He seems to do a decent job covering them up. On the top, I don't see any obvious metal discoloration. IN-B flipper is an obvious fake.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 7:15pm
Yup, saw that too. Can't tell if it is the professional crater repair or a DIY version. There must be some kind of kit used to produce the look and feel, a kind of DIY Carbine patina in a box. Also, carefully taken pictures make signs of restoration harder to detect for new collectors.

"No arsenal rebuild or repairs." Yup, the keyword being arsenal.

And yet, they keep selling. Like they teach you in one-l..caveat emptor, pal.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2019 at 10:08pm
Those Carbines are most accurately described as "replicas".

I sold some items on ebay or GB to a buyer and later saw he had purchased a couple of those replica Carbines. He was currently bidding on another so I contacted him at that email I had for him when he bought my items and revealed what we all know to be true about the parts. He never responded and won that Carbine leaving good feedback. Even the stock was a replica on that one. Maybe he was reselling/straw buying for someone else and didn't care?
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 7:56am
Good job Wayne!  You should change your forum name to "Sherlock". ;)

The seller obviously knows all the tricks of "smoke & mirrors" and writing a good novel: as you pointed out, this is not his first rodeo!  I read things like this and makes me very leery of buying any C&R from an unknown source on the Net!

Semper Fi, Bruce
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 8:08am
That seller used to outright lie that they were actual original period parts on his creations but now says they are 'coded' this or that. 
If you contacted him that they are repos he would reply that he hopes not because they were expensive. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 8:47am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

If you contacted him that they are repos he would reply that he hopes not because they were expensive. 
My first and only contact was on a Rock-Ola listing. Stock looked too good and he made a similar reply that he had paid $400 or something like that for it.  Googled seller and found discussions from at least 2013.  I'm still not experienced in differentiating many fake parts (fortunately I have ya'll) so I read descriptions very carefully.  More concerned with semantics of how it's said and what is not said.  Kind of like a seller in Cal who periodically list oilers from all mfgs.  They state they come with original leather gasket.  No mention of being original oilers.  I'm sure these are the original gaskets in an unoriginal oiler.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 12:35pm
Faking collectable guns has become very profitable, and people have gotten very good at it. 

Lot of Winchester 61's being sold now that are confirmed fakes. A seller on GB in CA currently has two $15K "RARE!" 61's that are listed as 22 Short only guns, with boxes and paperwork.  He too is very careful not to come right out and say they are original.  The problem is, with the internet people can find the same serial number that is seen on his "rare 22 short only" gun was found on a common 22 S, L, LR gun that was well used and sold at auction a while back. 

New reproduction box, paperwork, label, new barrel with stampings, and a reblue with new wood, and that $600 gun just became a $15K gun.

Not surprised that people are doing the same with Carbines.

Some people are just scum.  No excuses for it.  These slimebags absolutely intend to deceive and defraud buyers.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2019 at 1:20pm
I agree with slingOO, it's what is not said.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2019 at 11:11am
He introduced himself to me at a show once, but I didn't reciprocate. He travels to shows around the region, probably as he delivers his replica Carbines to buyers.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2019 at 4:29pm
Wayne,
Normally S T B will wait until the purchased receiver has Timed Out on GB and you can no longer pull up the pictures.
Back in 2010 we discussed a couple of their offerings. Same thing marking down the serial numbers and later seeing them show up refurbished.
Check GB completed auctions for receivers and look at the bid history. You'll see Ole STB bidding on the not common makers often.
Yes he does have a following....... All drinking the Kool Aid.
I pulled some pictures to save so the use of a Applied Tint on the metal and messing with the picture tones could be shown.
A 3 page link here:

I've also seen where L&S offers 'Services' such as Stake Mark repair etc.
bestcarbineparts dot com
They also have a parts catalog full of 'Fresh' goodies.

Wayne.... Once Again Good Work,

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply