Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standard Product Barrel Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkneill21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard Product Barrel Markings
    Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 6:25pm
I recently bought a Standard Products M1 Carbine. I've had many carbines but I have never seen a barrel with this marking. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of this barrel?

Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yRF4ZJLmDEAQbc3m9

There are no marks under the barrel band, but closer to the receiver there are 3 marks. There is also a P stamped up by the muzzle.

See attached pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/np2VfnczyRkAqyBk9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFyjHcNGv1igYFvT7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/82tgTBecCcsfcGbo6

Appreciate the help

Edit - There is also a crossed cannon stamp on the bottom flat of the barrel right by the receiver.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 6:36pm
Greetings and welcome to the club.

Looks like a sideways BA for Buffalo Arms.
mkneill21 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkneill21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 6:40pm
Thanks.   I've got several carbine books and info and never seen anything about Buffalo marking them that way.  Really I had no idea what it was.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 7:17pm
Hard to tell in the photo if it is or not. Here's a link to a BA marked barrel.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 10:07pm
Is the gas cylinder swaged on? If so it could be a Buffalo Arms barrel. Honestly, I can't tell a lot from the pictures shown. Standard Products used more than one type of proof P so it can be kind of tricky
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 12:08am
what serial range SP?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 7:16am
Markings found on a S'G' with a Buffalo Arms barrel. BA marked there barrels in a variety of ways. This one is marked
Buffalo Arms
9 - 1943

Ordnance bomb and Crossed Cannons

Still don't have a good grasp on barrel P marks. Think this one is a different font since it is on an S'G'.

mkneill21 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkneill21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 8:41pm
2,150,xxx serial number
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 9:51pm
the BA marking is from around 6-1943 and the earliest Bufflo marking. Shortly after they dated the barrels.
Early information shows Buffalo Arms barrels have been observed in the 2038xxx to 2048xxx range.

CCNL 384 has a chart of all the P proofs. It was noted that there were two proof Ps for SP but the author had only observed one style.

A follow up was published

If the size in 64ths can be established I would say that is the early SP proof, but how it wound up on a later serial number is a mystery.
Normally we would say "first in, last out" for the barrel. However the proof is applied once the carbine is built and proof fired.

Do check for a second proof as Buffalo was required to proof barrels as well. Might be under a barrel band. Originally all barrels, but later the requirements were something like 100 in every 1000. I am drawing a blank when the change took place . I believe late 43.
Interesting is that your receiver should have a late 43 or early 44 barrel.

Could it be that this barrel was a last out or sidetracked at Buffaalo?

The only other serif P I believe was early inland and IBM, neither would have used Buffalo barrels 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2019 at 1:35pm
It might help to look at the staking ( if any ) behind the front sight. SP had an unique staking of dots, either at the base of the sight or even on top of the barrel.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2019 at 2:54pm
@Why Carbines? Are these the stake marks you are describing?

This 2,113,XXX SP has the smaller non serif "P" proof mark.
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2019 at 7:36pm
Yes, from what I see. They either dotted the barrel or the back of the sight itself on either side of the sight key. I am not going to say they staked it that way every time, but most of the ones I have had were staked behind the front sight.
 Post Reply Post Reply