The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Varmint Round SR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Varmint Round SR
    Posted: Jun 28 2019 at 11:33am

Spotters Report: an interesting .30 carbine round 

Dave Tennent came across these very interesting bullets for the M1 carbine.
These are known as accelerator type sabots. These were designed as a varmint round.

It is a .223 (.224) caliber projectile and weighs 55 grains. It is loaded into a plastic sabot. The sabot engages the rifling which gives the bullet its spin.

sab·ot
/ˌsaˈbō/
noun

a device which ensures the correct positioning of a bullet or shell in the barrel of a gun, attached either to the projectile or inside the barrel and falling away as it leaves the muzzle.

Upon exiting the barrel the sabot peels off and the .223 heads down range.

The R-P 30 Carbine headstamp is from Remington Arms Company, Inc., Bridgeport CT.
I have found a reference that suggests these rounds are from circa 1960

If anyone here has experience, load data, etc, with these rounds please share your thoughts.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2019 at 1:38pm
Dan, pretty interesting, I have no experience with Carbine sabots, I do shoot sabots in my muzzle loaders. I would be interested in accuracy with these things and also how much plastic is left in the barrel to clean up.
I will say that I am a fan of pointed bullets, many years ago one of my Marines gave me 500 rds of his uncle's reloads (I know big no no shooting reloads from a stranger) they were loaded with a pointed soft point bullet, ended up being the most accurate carbine ammo I have ever shot, unfortunately I have no idea what the load data and bullet weight was.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2019 at 4:21am
Wow, a Sabot round for our carbines. That scores high on the cool factor! (read: I don't have a need for it, but I sure want it) Thumbs Up

New2brass, thanks for the story and great pics.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 11:13pm
i remember that accelerator ammo.  i still have a few boxes of 30-06 accelerator but never saw any for the carbine.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 1:26am
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 4:46pm
I recall reading an article about the carbine accelerator round. IIRC, it was discontinued due to it not being very accurate. The problem was that the long bullet would tumble because the slow twist rate of the carbine barrel didn't properly stabilize it. Can't remember where I read that. It could have been in the Rifleman.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 7:07pm
35 Whelen,

Thx for that link.

Ch-P777

Edit Add:  I wonder how well they'd strip out of a magazine?
Would / could the plastic Sabot catch the mag's feed lip ?

Would you single feed, then add 1 in the mag ?
Or would you try filling the mag ?

Guess you'd have to load a mag and hand cycle to see how the Mag Lip and feed ramp like that plastic Sabot.
Also wonder if the Sabot would help fill up a older barrel, like one that gage's at 3.

Enough powder that it would Eject and Cycle a new round ?

Would 1 in 20 twist be too slow for 50 - 60 grn tip ?

Just Random Thoughts Added .......

Edited by painter777 - Oct 12 2020 at 11:16pm
Living Free because of those that serve.....
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2020 at 8:48am
I wonder....why bother. I think all these sabot rounds were just another gimmick to sell ammo. If someone wanted to shoot Woodchucks at 300 yards on a routine basis, he would likely get a gun for that. A 86-grain .308 Mauser projectile over 16.5 grains of H110 zips along at 2500 fps.
 Post Reply Post Reply