The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update/Range Report. "Howa" Royal Thai Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update/Range Report. "Howa" Royal Thai Carbine
    Posted: Jun 15 2019 at 12:44pm
I finally got my Howa M-1 Carbine back from the LGS, it had a issue with the rear sight (it fell off) and they replaced it with a new production milled sight

IMO same type Fulton Armory sells, it's an exact match to the one on my FA Carbine I've posted here.

I decided to try and do a 25 yard "Battle Zero" at a local indoor range. My normal outdoor range is closed till the fall and I wanted to see if this sight stayed on...

1st 50 rounds bench resting at 25 yards seated. I'm aiming at the "X" ring knowing I need to be 3 inch's high to get a effective zero at 100 or 200 yards. You can see I'm a tad right but I dial it in the best I can under the circumstances (I hate trying to zero rifles at 25 yards).

No problems so far, I figure close enough and switch to a function check

2nd 50 rounds, here's where I start having some problems. I got 2 stovepipe and 1 FTF on this set, using a couple Korean mags I got from AIM Surplus. I decide to try a couple USGI mags I know work on my CMP Inland and FA carbines

3rd 50 round set. Again a couple of FTF's and a stovepipe. I'm using PPU 110 grn that I've had problems with since I bought it so I figure it's the ammo

I bought 2000 rounds of that on a sale at AIM 2 years ago and have had more problems than any .30 Carbine ammo I've used over the year, I'm down to 500 rounds and I've been restocking with Fiocchi  brand .30 Carbine so before I sweat it I'll try the Fiocchi and see if I have problems with it.

Worst case, I run this by Fulton Armory for a tune up down the road. I sort of plan on that with all my Carbines anyway, they have my Blue Sky import marked one now getting a new barrel and I plan on having them tune up my CMP Inland 43 when I get Blue back.....this one can go in the que then

Edited by DonFlynn - Jun 16 2019 at 9:24am
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2019 at 1:13pm
The last 100 rounds was shot standing freehand FYI
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2019 at 1:22pm
Nice shooting. They can be quite accurate, and certainly one if the most fun rifles to shoot.
I passed up a nice Howa at a gun show about 10 years ago because it wasn't "USGI". Have regretted it since.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 6:11pm
Another range report, testing mags this time. I ran 150 rounds through 7 mags, 2 new Korean production, one that came with my Fulton Armory Carbine and 4 USGI mags I've had for years that work on my CMP.

Only had 2 mags run without problems, I'm thinking I might need new springs on the Thai
 Post Reply Post Reply