Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Parkerizing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Parkerizing?
    Posted: May 30 2019 at 9:25am
How do you produce black Parkerizing, chemical-wise? Some SP Carbines and Rockola are seen with dark Parking and some of the Century Arms imports have a Black coating that doesn't look like the Black Oxide you see from Bavaria/Austria.

So what produces this coloration? I've recently sold a type II band which was extra dark that came off of an early original Plainfield.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 1:16pm
Some of the Bavarian/Austrian returns were blued.

There are Zinc and Manganese  solutions on the market. Zinc is supposed to be light gray and Manganese darker/black.

I bought both kinds 20 years ago from the same company. I do not know if they go bad but when I recently cracked the seal and tried to do some parking I noticed both solutions have the same color, just the texture was different.

I never done Black. I have read about pre-conditioners which are supposed to make it black but I would think it would look like park, just black.

The original processes have changed since WW2 as some of the chemicals were quite toxic.

Anyone else?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2019 at 8:13am
The last Grand Rapids I got is dull black and CAI marked. Everything is black internally and externally.
Somewhere I have an S'G' dogleg that's 'blued' black and shiny, but this Carbine is dull black.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2019 at 9:00am
A small sample size, but all original appearing IP's and S'G's I've observed have that matte black finish. CCNL 374 mentions 2 finishes, phosphate and black oxide. Perhaps others know the chemical sources of each?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2019 at 9:25am
I have an Inland 7-44 replacement barrel, with presumably an original black oxide finish. It needed a front sight so I media blasted one, heated it up with a heat gun, and applied a few coats of oxphos blue. It matches the barrel perfectly with the dull black finish.
I have no idea why this seemingly factory finish barrel has black oxide, when other original Inland rifles with similar barrel dates are parkerized. Maybe replacement barrels took a slightly different manufacturing path.

I'll add, the factory black oxide is definitely a different appearance than the blued finish on a Bavarian rifle, I'd imagine it's a combination of metal condition and chemicals.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2019 at 9:42am
The finish on some very late Inland carbines has been referred to as black or very dark.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2019 at 7:16pm
Even the trigger spring appears to be the same black on this one. Everything. I'm considering blasting and refinishing it. Some finish didn't appear to take well on the barrel. Everything had copious amounts of Cosmoline. Note the hammer spring as well in color and the staked trigger pin. This is a rebuilder's refinish.

ALSO, there's a large 7 stamped where Winchester letters are stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard.

desert-storm View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desert-storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 8:21pm
Fulton Armory does a nice black park
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 7:55pm
My buddy used this on a couple of badly worn guns, and it worked great.  It is as black as any gun I have seen.  

Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply