The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recrown Muzzle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recrown Muzzle?
    Posted: May 27 2019 at 11:13am
I was looking at the Fulton Armory website and noticed on their page listing Gunsmithing services something called "Recrowning Muzzle".  I am not familiar with that term.  Could someone explain what "recrowning" is and the benefit of doing it to a M1 Carbine.

Thanks.
Semper Fi, Bruce
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 11:26am
The muzzle end of the barrel is the last thing that touches the bullet and any nick will affect accuracy. Crowning the barrels muzzle insures that is square to the bore. Probably more technical terms but that is my understanding.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 12:47pm
Thanks, that's very helpful.

So for example, if a carbine measures Muzzle Erosion of 2.5, recrowning should bring it back to a measurement of 0.  Is that correct?

Semper Fi, Bruce
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 1:26pm
Crowning does not repair a worn barrel, it will repair damage to the crown of the barrel. Some crowns are nicked from cleaning equipment and this nick can be the very last thing that touches the bullet as it leaves the barrel and affect the bullets flight. I shot service rifle competition and nicked the crown of my M1A. My groups started to open up with fliers. I sent it off to Springfield armory thinking the bedding might be the cause. Springfield informed me the crown was nicked and re-crowned the barrel. Groups were back to where they were before I damaged the crown. Lesson learned. Bore guide cleaning from muzzle end a must.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 1:37pm
Bruce, Here is a pretty interesting article about rifle crowns and accuracy.

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/03/do-rifle-crowns-matter-does-a-crown-effect-accuracy/
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 3:48pm
Thanks for the link W5USMC. Read it and found it to be very informative. I also have a better understanding.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 4:13pm
DO NOT USE A STEEL CLEANING ROD. Use either a brass rod or a corded "pull from the breech" cleaning out fit.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2019 at 4:29pm
Wayne - thanks for the article; it was an interesting read.  My take away is muzzle erosion does not affect accuracy as much as I thought it might.

Charles - very good point!  I use a cleaning rod made of carbon fiber.  Unfortunately, the damage I want to correct was done over the last 75 years by people using the USGI steel cleaning rods.

Semper Fi, Bruce
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2019 at 7:56am
I had my local armor re-crown the barrel of my "new" Inland carbine.  The barrel's crown was pitted and and had a few "bumps and scrapes" when I bought it.  Regrettably, I failed to take any pictures of the original damaged crown.  I do have a couple of pictures that show the re-crowned barrel after the armor performed his magic.

I have cleaned the barrel and front sight to remove all the remaining metal flakes since I took these pictures.  I am very pleased with the results and the renewed appearance of my barrel.  

Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2019 at 10:09am
Nice Bruce, looks like he did a pretty good job.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2019 at 10:06pm
Ber911, that crown looks great. What did your smith charge you for that work? 
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2019 at 7:45am
Thanks for the kind words gents!

Donnie - David (armor) re-crowned the barrel and reset/aligned the rear sight.  The rear sight was lose in the dovetail when I bought it; I could slide it side-to-side with my fingers.  David charged me $100 total for both repairs.  It was money well spent in my opinion.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply