Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland 8-43

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland 8-43
    Posted: May 24 2019 at 7:46am
Used my new C&R License for the first time this week.  Purchased an Inland carbine from a gentleman that is liquidating his collection of WWII-era firearms and parts/accessories.  This latest addition joins my Rock-Ola and the Bavaria NPM carbines.

My new carbine is an Inland with a Inland barrel dated 8-43.  Serial number is 8063xx.  It came with non-USGI canvas sling and oiler.  It appears to have gone through a post-war rebuild because it has a bayonet lug, adjustable rear sight, rotary safety, Type V "pot-belly" stock, etc.

Over the next week or so, I will take it apart and inspect/clean all the parts.  I will also complete the Data Sheet as I go along.  I'll post more pictures as I get it apart.  I do have one question...there is a rebuild mark on the left side of stock just forward of the sling well.  It is a star over FAT/71; at least that is what it looks like to me (see photo).

Remember the line from the movie "Jaws"..."I think we are going to need a bigger boat!".   In my case, I think I am going to need a bigger safe! Wink

Semper Fi, Bruce
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 8:42am
Your carbine is from Italy. The stamp is from an Italian arsenal)Fabrica Armi Terni.) The 71 is when it was rebuilt or inspected. If you remove the handguard there should be a stamp on the barrel just ahead of reciever too. Nice rifle
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 10:01am
Durango56,

Thanks!  I'll look for any marks on the barrel.  Would the mark also be "FAT"?

Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 10:25am
Bruce, the marking on the barrel will look like the pic below. Not all carbines that were returned from Italy have the markings on the barrel, of the 10 Italian returns I own only 3 have the barrels stamped.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 12:12pm
Wayne,

Appreciate the picture.  Yes, I have the mark also.  In the picture below, you can see part of the star and "AT".  The other characters are not stamped well and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply