The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with learning gunsmithing on the M1 carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with learning gunsmithing on the M1 carbine
    Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:58am
I've started collecting M1 carbines , military and commercial. Does anyone know of someone in Mobile Al. Or surrounding area that has a working knowledge of gunsmithing M1 carbines and would be interested in teaching me how to work on M1 carbines. I'm a Firemedic for the city of Mobile. Just started collecting last year . I really want to learn how to fix one of my rifles when a part breaks or wears out. Thanks for any help y'all can give me
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 12:58pm
Hi Eddie and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I can't help you with a smith in your area but I would suggest you get a copy of the carbine tech manual, TM9-1276, 1953 issue and read up on it. It will at least tell you what is important to know about such things as assembly/disassembly, what to inspect for, troubleshooting, special tools required, headspace, safety considerations/features, etc.

Yeah, the TM is old, but the principles are still the same. There are modern equivalents available of some of the special tooling shown in the TM that are available from online suppliers (such things as front/rear sight removal/install, bolt assembly/disassembly, etc).

Here's a link to PDF copy of the 1953 TM.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwRLLEEtHxbJMDNiY2FlMDEtMjJkNi00ZWU2LWFiYTgtNjViZjRmYzA3MGEz/edit?+M3+TM+9-1276&hl=en%22%3ECal+.30+Carbines+M1,M1A1,M2+&pli=1
JackP
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 1:38pm
Greetings Eddie. I am your neighbor some 200 miles to the west. Unfortunately, not close enough to help you a lot. I dare say that the great majority of members here never had any formal gunsmith training. Many of us grew up with firearms, are just born tinkerers and many others picked-up specific skills while working for Uncle Sam. If you posses basic mechanical skills, the internet has delivered knowledge right into our living room. You may be surprised what all you can discover and numerous how-too’s about the M1 Carbine. Read and research the forums as well. You can learn a lot just reading what others have to say.

Welcome and good luck on your journey.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 1:59pm
WAY better than the TM linked above is Kuhnhausen's carbine manual. You'll have to do your own googling for it.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 2:31pm
The TM is great to have but I agree with blackfish, the depth of Kuhnhausen's shop manual puts the TM to shame.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Caliber-Gas-Operated-Carbines/dp/B000Q6XMUS
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Eddielee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 3:05pm
thanks for replying. I work in Mobile but I live in Mississippi , which is probably where you are. I've hunted since I was old enough to walk behind my dad, but only cleaned the guns. Never had to work on them. I've been watching M1 carbine videos on YouTube , that helps with cleaning and dissembly, but I'm having trouble deciding what might be worn out on a couple used carbines. If I don't find anyone nearby that can educate me with hands on experience, 200 miles is not to far to drive to get an education. I'm going to order those books and study up. Hopefully it will all come together. Trying to fix my gun is a little different than fixing my tractor. I just don't want to make a fatal mistake. Thanks again, I'll keep you informed of my progress
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 3:36pm
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. What fun!
Eddielee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 3:38pm
Thanks for the links to the PDF files and the link to the book. I'm really enjoying learning about these rifles. Thanks everyone
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. What fun!

What he said! I bet I have broken as many things as I've fixed in the learning process. Short of a few springs and maybe a couple of small parts....ain't much your going to be foolin' with. The thing is, if you get a solid one to start with...there won't be much to break. All the rest is play-time. There are a couple of basic tools that you need to keep things clean and running. Be shopping for a bolt-tool...just about required unless you have three hands. Just over $20 at SARCO. USGI ones are much higher, but the cheaper ones work just fine. Then...DON'T purchase the gas-piston nut wrench...that will get you into trouble...you don't even want one of those.

Anyway....I live in McComb about an hour west of Hattiesburg, you know where that is for sure. I will be happy to help you when I can. I have built-up more than one from scratch and they actually work!
Eddielee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 4:08pm
well I don't know what happened last night but the bolt decided to go past the slide and come out. I was just pulling the slide back.   Either something is wore out or broke. But I don't have the knowledge to know which. Y'all ever seen that
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 4:33pm
If you were pulling the slide outward (not on purpose) it could have moved away from the receiver at the dismount notch and released the bolt. Doubt it could be a warn bolt-lug, but could be slide wear. 

You can “make” it do that on any carbine if you pull out hard enough.

To be clear...I am talking about the carbine being assembled in sprung condition. Of course it has to do that when being disassembled. But, it is not that difficult to pull the slide out on an assembled carbine either.
Eddielee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 5:07pm
That's good to know. I probably was pulling out, not directly back. I'll be more vilegent in the future. I was swapping to a different stock and it was sticking . I bet I jerked on it. Thanks
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 7:26pm
Welcome!
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

If you were pulling the slide outward (not on purpose) it could have moved away from the receiver at the dismount notch and released the bolt. Doubt it could be a warn bolt-lug, but could be slide wear. 

You can “make” it do that on any carbine if you pull out hard enough.
Yep. Done that. 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:13pm
Welcome to the forum. I want to reinforce the recommendation of buying Jerry Kuhnhausens book/ shop manual. It is excellent and indispensable if you plan to own/operate/repair or rebuild your carbine. 
Eddielee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddielee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:36pm
Thanks, I'm going to get the  book . I appreciate the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image