Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Infrared Scopes and Equipment, Night Vision
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early m3 off Ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1carvine4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early m3 off Ebay
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 1:48pm
I am hoping someone here got the early m3 carbine scope off Ebay. It appears to have been a transitional model between the m2 and m3 models we currently know of. 

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 3:31am
Welcome Don,

Yes, someone here did win the auction for the Hillyer M3 Sniperscope. There should be more information forthcoming on this thread or a link to where the info will be on the forum.

It's a prototype M3 Sniperscope designed and built 1947-1949 under contract to the Corps of Engineers as a test bed for what later became the M3 Sniperscope by American Optical and later, Capehart-Farnsworth.

The Engineers weren't lying dormant with the IR research between the end of WWII and the beginning of Korea. Two of us have been researching the IR scopes and equipment used with the carbines for about 2 1/2 or 3 years now. And still working on it.

Material detailing the research is slow in making it on the website as this research project is no simple one. More will start to show up in the upcoming months. A couple months ago I added the first pages on infrared to the website.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/infrared.html

Jim
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 11:39am
Anyone have a link of the ebay item, M3 scope mentioned earlier?
.............. Thanks
M1carvine4me View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1carvine4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 2:06pm
that is good to hear, however, in looking for info on this scope I stumbled onto another hard to find scope. as soon as it arrives I will post some info.

appears to have the early blued bar, 2 batteries and boxes, the tool kit and a few other hard to find parts. mainly bought for the m2 scope case with the dividers.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 2:52pm
welcome to the forums.
When you get the scope please take the time to fill out the appropriate survey.
This helps us with research as well as helping you by better understanding the variations of the parts.

Scope with box is an excellent find. I have been looking for one.
Is it going on a m1 or t3?

I am interested in seeing the tools and the scope packed in the chest.

If you like you can contact Jim and I and we can answer just about any question you have.
Best, Dan
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 4:10pm
Don,

This is a correction of this earlier post. My apologies. So little mind and so much info.

Your scope is a LATE M2 Sniperscope (1950-1951). There were two contracts for the early ones. Both in 1945 and both manufactured in 1945. It appears the 2nd contract was cancelled when the surrender was signed. I'm still looking for the documentation.

If you could at least share the info on the name plate it would be much appreciated. The survey Dan gave the link too helps us to reconstruct what was done when. These scopes were in a constant R&D process in rush mode.

Also interested in the gray battery name sticker and serial number if it has them.

If you don't want the pics on the forum I can be pm'd for my e-mail address.

Jim

P.S. Arthur, here's the link to the auction. Click on the pic to see the other pics.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392295747690

Edited by sleeplessnashadow - May 25 2019 at 12:31pm
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 10:58pm
Thanks Jim! Very interesting Item. Good pictures. Good price.

Post Reply Post Reply