The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extraction issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquibLoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extraction issue
    Posted: May 11 2019 at 7:02am
Hello all,
I recently purchased my first carbine a couple months ago. (See post Winchester M1 Carbine from last week) I have taken her out with an original M2 mag and a new repro 15 rounder. (I like the 15rd better) I have also tried both S&B and Armscor 110gr loads in it. The issue I am having is that she stovepipes constantly. Every third or fourth round will do it. I gave her a thorough cleaning and the issue remains. Any ideas on what to try next? I am thinking of replacing springs but I wanted to check with you folks first.
Thank you,
Mike
old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 8:25am
You need a GI 15 rd mag. Nothing like the real deal, most aftermarket have the same problem.
Retired Army Guy
SquibLoad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquibLoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by old59porsche old59porsche wrote:

You need a GI 15 rd mag. Nothing like the real deal, most aftermarket have the same problem.
I would like to get some GI mags. I have seen a lot of them at gun shows for 35 bucks a piece. What is a fair price for them? 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 9:13am
Ejector spring maybe and extractor spring for sure. If the extractor don’t hang on to it the ejector can’t push it out. Check the extractor again for burrs, chips or carbon crud under the claw. Stovepipes are usually the product of weak ammo, too strong of a main-spring, binding in the action, ejection failure or even the gas system. Make sure the piston moves freely thru it’s full travel. Doesn’t have to be floppy loose, but free.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 6:23pm
I use Korean 15 round mags I and have never had a stovepipe.  IMHO, the magazine is not your problem.
Semper Fi, Bruce
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 9:51pm
Agree with flydthecat. I would start with extractor and the ejector with new springs. Just my opinion.
SquibLoad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquibLoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 5:33am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Ejector spring maybe and extractor spring for sure. If the extractor don’t hang on to it the ejector can’t push it out. Check the extractor again for burrs, chips or carbon crud under the claw. Stovepipes are usually the product of weak ammo, too strong of a main-spring, binding in the action, ejection failure or even the gas system. Make sure the piston moves freely thru it’s full travel. Doesn’t have to be floppy loose, but free.
  I will get those ordered and installed. Thanks for the advice!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 6:41am
Measure the extractor plunger spring. If it’s under .400 free-length....replace it for sure with a GI spring. Spec. is .410 and I have found them as short as .380, in guns that failed to extract. The ejection system is probably ok, but those plungers can also get fouled or stuck, as well as having spring issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply