The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Report
    Posted: May 08 2019 at 4:13pm
I recently took my Bavarian NPM carbine to the range.  I had given it a through cleaning last fall, including bolt and trigger disassemblies.  I also checked the headspace and every looked good and functioning properly.

I do not intend for my Bavarian NPM to be a shooter; I just wanted to satisfy myself that it would shoot properly and accurately.  My Rock-Ola is my shooting carbine.

I went to a friends private range on his farm.  My friend Lou is in his early 80's, but he is a crack shot.  Lou was on the USMC Pistol Team in the early 60's.  He was also the chief instructor and Range Officer at a local police department.  Lou has an early (3/43 barrel) Bavarian Inland carbine that he brought out of storage and shot a couple mags.

I only fired 2-15 rd. magazines.  I was satisfied with the Bavarian's performance, so we called it a day and went into town for a bite of lunch.

Here are a few pictures:

The 50 yd. "range"

My shooting position:

My 30 rounds on target:

My friend Lou:

Edited by BER911 - May 09 2019 at 7:34am
Semper Fi, Bruce
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 1:35am
Thanks for the story and the photos. I can see you had a wonderful time. Congrats on your Bavarian's acquisition and its performance. What ammo did you shoot? You are livin' the dream. 
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 7:33am
Donnie,

Indeed, "living' the dream"!

I shoot Remington or Hornady 110 grain FMJ ammo.  It's good clean ammo.  The day I shot the Bavarian NPM carbine, I was using the Remington ammo.

Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 11:24am
Not bad shooting Bruce, that may get you the sharpshooter badge, still a few points away from expert. Maybe you were thinking about going to lunch instead of concentrating on sight alignment and sight picture.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 12:34pm
Wayne,

You been snooping around my house?? Wink

Picture of my Shadow Box my wife had made for me.  Your "Maltese Cross" looks very similar to mine.

I shot Expert one year, but my final qualification was Sharpshooter.  Oh well, it is just plain fun to shoot our carbines, no matter what the score!

Semper Fi, Bruce
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 1:24pm
Marines, thank you for your service! Clap
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 4:05pm
Thanks Donnie!  Much appreciated. Smile

Semper Fi, Bruce
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 8:58am
One other observation I omitted from my original post was my impression of the stock.  The Bavaria NPM has a Type III stock.  I do not like the "feel" of that stock when compared to the Type V Potbelly stock on my Rock-Ola.  IMHO, the Rock-Ola is much easier and more comfortable to shoot.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply