Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on my new Inland Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on my new Inland Carbine
    Posted: May 05 2019 at 4:52pm
Hello All.

First let me say I found this forum and website very informative even before I purchased my M1 carbine.  My grandfather recently passed, and he was drafted by never deployed right at the end of the Korean War.  I purchased my carbine with the intentions of using it and his helmet (he was in the 101st training regiment so it has the screaming eagle on it) to make a display in honor of him and my great uncle who did serve in Korea.

The carbine itself in an Inland, barrel stamped 11-42 (which coincidentally November happens to be my birthday month) with serial number 104XXX which seems to be correct.  Barrel band has a C stamp which I believe means Winchester manufacture.  There is no stamp on the front sight, rear sight has IR CO.  Recoil plate is Saginaw.

My main question is the stock and handguard.  The handguard has no markings whatsoever, while the stock has 2 markings: the Ordnance crossed cannon cartouche on the right side, and a Z stamped on the inside only visible when the stock is removed.  No marks that I can see in the slingwell.  I was wondering if anyone could identify the Z mark and give me more info on when this gun may have been last rebuilt and if the stock more or less "correct" and not a reproduction.

Thanks.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 7:42pm
Going by the Z on the bridge and the cartouche, I'm thinking it's most likely Winchester. The handguard could also be Winchester too since some of their markings were both missing and hard to see. What's interesting is that your front sight appears to be Winchester also, although another picture would help there. Can you post a few photos of the bottom of the handguard, the front sight and the front nose of the stock from different angles? Also, since you say the barrel band has a C on it could you post a picture of the C also? There are different style C bands, one wartime and a few others that are postwar.
Nidi62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 8:36pm
Here's barrel band, front sight (no visible markings)  handguard(no visible markings), barrel channel also showing Z mark, and (I believe) front of the stock nose.  Also, appears teh slide is Saginaw as well.

big spot appears to be a blemish, not a mark

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 8:55pm
The stock is Winchester as is the front sight. The barrel band is one of the postwar C marked bands and the handguard I'm not sure of, other to say it's most likely not Winchester. It looks like you have nice carbine, enjoy it.
Nidi62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 8:19am
So sounds like I did pretty good.  Nothing rare, but everything is legit and of pretty good quality.  Thanks for the info, can't wait to get it to the range and try it out.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 8:07am
for future use by some regarding the Cowles barrel bands

Nidi62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 7:54am
Cali,

Could you point out what differences you are intending for people to notice?  To my admittedly novice eye, the only differences I see are the placement of the "C" mark and the end of the screw is different.  I'm new to the whole carbine scene so trying to learn as much as I can.

Also, just noticed you're in ATL.  I'm up in Woodstock, and picked up the carbine at the gun show they had at the ATL expo center last weekend.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 8:49am
The "C" is the difference, WWII Cowles bands are worth $125-$150, post WWII about $25. I am up in the Ellijay area.
Nidi62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 10:04am
Ok, so still "original"(as in not a repro), but indicative of a Korean War-era government rebuild?  That's honestly fine with me because late 40s/early 50s would be more in line with my purposes anyway.  Thanks.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 12:18pm
pretty rare to find a carbine that has not been updated. Many "original" carbines found today were updated at one point and "put back" with original type parts by "enthusiasts".
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 1:01pm
Some the "Bavaria" carbines did not go through the post-war rebuilds.  The reason is they stayed in the ETO after the war and given to various police jurisdictions in the State of Bavaria in 1946.  Bavaria then purchased the carbines in 1949 and took over their control.  Some were then sold by the Germans to the Austrians.

My NPM Carbine was first used by the Bavaria Rural Police after the war.  Then, in the mid-50's it was sold to the Austrians and used by the police in Upper Austria until 1992/93; it was returned to the US Army in 2008.  It was not upgraded by any of the US government rebuild programs.  It contains many original parts and components.  Any upgraded parts would probably have been added by the Austrians or the CMP when they got it from the US Army in 2008.  You can read about it's life here:

Semper Fi, Bruce
Nidi62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidi62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 4:00pm
So just took it to the range, and it shot great.  Granted it was only at 50 ft and I'm not much of a marksman, but it was probably one of the more accurate guns I've shot.  My only concern was that it consistently failed to feed on the final round of the magazine.  The magazine was a 30 rounder and it doesn't have the correct mag catch for the 30 rounder, but I only had 15 rds in the mag.  In any case, I'm giving it a good cleaning and probably going to get some 15 rd mags.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 4:13pm
Nice Carbine and nice to honor your grandfather and great uncle.
 Post Reply Post Reply